Slow Running CPU

kappa4184

Ok, I have no clue how to fix this :confused: . Also I'm not sure if it is a software issue or hardware issue. When I start up my computer it's just fine, fast as can be but when I leave to go to class for an hour or so I'll come back and my computer will seem to run really slow :mad: . I've noticed that the computer seems to be using about 50% of its resources with out an end. Do you guys have any ideas???

4W4K3

VIP Member
kappa4184 said:
Ok, I have no clue how to fix this :confused: . Also I'm not sure if it is a software issue or hardware issue. When I start up my computer it's just fine, fast as can be but when I leave to go to class for an hour or so I'll come back and my computer will seem to run really slow :mad: . I've noticed that the computer seems to be using about 50% of its resources with out an end. Do you guys have any ideas???

List Specs...could explain why lol.

Also after about 30mins of idling my computer starts Diskeeper (Defragmentation process) which does slow down my computer, Antivirus will also download definition files whuile idling. If you are on 56K this can REALLY kill ur CPU perofrmance, and defragmentation will lag your omputer as well. Make sure you have none of those programs running in the background.

Also scan for any kinds of virus/trojans you might have. Any antivirus softtware should pickup the most basic ones. I suggest Norton/McAfee for entire system scans. Adaware6 and Stinger are good as well.

Grimulus

it's probably spyware man...they tend to load more things as time goes on...can really slow down a comp and HOG resources.

get spybot 1.3 and update it...should scan for 20,000 files or so...

probably want to get adaware as well.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I've noticed that the computer seems to be using about 50% of its resources with out an end
How is this a problem? As long as it doesnt reach 100% you'll be fine ... :confused:

kappa4184

SPECs

ok, my specs are:

Intel P4 3.0 HT
ASUS P4P800 SE
3/4 GB of Ram
140 GB Hard drive (100GB + 40GB)
9600 video card 256
Windows XP

Also it's making my computer laggy that's why I even care.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Well when you "get back from class and its laggy",
1. what processes are running in the background?
2. is there HDD activity during all this?

kappa4184

Processes:

taskmgr.exe
IEXPLORE.EXE
PCCPFW.exe
spoolsv.exe
svchost.exe
CTSVCCDA.EXE
alg.exe
ati2evxx.exe
lsass.exe
services.exe
winlogon.exe
csrss.exe
smss.exe
RcMan.exe
CLI.exe
Updater.exe
Pop3trap.exe
PCCClient.exe
type32.exe
EM_EXEC.EXE
jusched.exe
explorer.exe
MsPMSPSv.exe
wdfmgr.exe

And no HDD is not being used.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
- Creative CDROM helper: CTSVCCDA.EXE ... prolly dont need this running
- Internet Connection Sharing/Internet Connfection Firewall: alg.exe ... also prolly dont need this running
- ATI taskbar icon thingy: CLI.exe ... prolly dont need this running
- A potentially bad thing: Updater.exe ... you'll prolly wanna remove it ... more info:
http://www.2-spyware.com/file-updater-exe.html
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/[email protected]
http://ask-leo.com/updaterexe_.html
- Stupid Java Updater: jusched.exe ... waste of resources
- The MsPMSPSv.exe is a WMP7 thingy and wdfmgr.exe is a WMP10 thingy (meanwhile both WMP7 and WMP10 are just plain bad)