Slow transfer speeds to WD My cloud

G25r8cer

Recently bought a WD MY cloud 2tb for streaming/backups.

I have my other 750gb external plugged into the back of it to transfer my files over.

I have both the WD and the 750gb external mapped in "my computer".

I am getting extremely slow transfer speeds. Anywhere from 5-6mb/s

I tried using the My cloud desktop app but, it keeps crashing/stopping.

Any ideas?

I have done some research and found that I might need to forward some ports?

G25r8cer

FYI

Router is Cisco e2500

Both my desktop and NAS are wired connections

Transfering a 4gb file from my desktop directly still only gets me 12mb/s or so

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
This has nothing to do with your internet speed. My Cloud is just a small NAS on your own network.

Is the other WD external you are transferring from a USB2 device? Also are you wireless?

Edit:
Sorry saw you said wired. And I looked up the e2500. It's a fast Ethernet switch, which means it's 100Mbit only. 12MB/s is it's max throughput. The slower performance from the external drive connected to your tower is likely the USB connection.

Last edited:

G25r8cer

So my router is def the bottleneck?

We are moving in a month or so ... and I will be purchasing a new router. This is what I am dealing with for now.

What kind of router would you suggest?

I am on a 60mb charter connection fyi! Would I benefit from a better router? If so ... how much so?

I have my external now hooked up via esata to my desktop. Maxing out at 12mb/s now.

And yes I just realized I am maxing out my connection. Task manager is showing 98+mb being used

If I wouldn't get a significant gain from a better router then I am likely going to ditch the NAS and just upgrade my external.

Sorry I am a bit of a network/nas newb. Appreciate any help given

Note: I am still dealing with Sata 3.0gb/s drives for my desktop and 750gb external. I'm assuming the WD Cloud is 6.0gb as it has a usb 3.0 on the backside

Last edited:

Darren

Staff member
Normal hard drives (platter drives, not an SSD) won't even use the capabilities of SATA 2 let alone SATA 3, so whether it's 3GB/s or 6GB/s is irrelevant. Typical HDD's won't have anything really above 200 MB/s read or write, and SATA 2 supports up to 300MB/s and SATA 3 is 600 MB/s

As for the rest of what you're talking about, I don't have anything to add, just would drop in what I actually know. :p

G25r8cer

Ok great! I had no idea.

I haven't been up to date on new tech for quite some time as my current desktop is way more than I need. And I built it a good 5yrs ago.

Last time I tested my hdd's they were around 160mb/s or so.

So sata 3 is really aimed towards ssd, correct?

And the idea of this nas was so eventually I could upgrade the desktop and laptops drives to ssd and not have a need for a large amount of storage. And keep the large files on the network.

Fyi: this is my first NAS purchase. The WD desktop app and mobile apps are def lacking. Desktop app freezes and stops after large transfers. Then I have to delete that transfer and start over. So I have just been transferring via network mapping.

The mobile app (iPhone) won't upload all of my photos at once. I have to manually select a few photos to upload. Then repeat the process. That and it doesn't remember what photos have been loaded on the drive. So the possibility of duplicates is great.

I know a nas like this is rare/doesn't exist. Just wish it did.

Hopefully WD will get with the game and throw some major updates out soon. If not I will be ditching the nas idea.

Last edited:

salvage-this

What kind of router would you suggest?

I am on a 60mb charter connection fyi! Would I benefit from a better router? If so ... how much so?

If you are going to get a new router at the new place, at least get dual band wireless N 600 (300 + 300) or better. It all depends on what wireless devices you have. If all of your devices work with AC, it might be worth the upgrade.

On the hardwired side just make sure that it has a few Gig lan ports on the back. You will probably see them marked as 10/100/1000.

If you want network storage without a dedicated storage server, some routers will have a USB port on the back that can handle a standard USB external drive. It'll share it on the network, and you don't need to have any software to get it working.

I have my external now hooked up via esata to my desktop. Maxing out at 12mb/s now.

And yes I just realized I am maxing out my connection. Task manager is showing 98+mb being used

eSATA should yield better transfer rates than your WiFi. I would think that you would be closer to what you would see if the drive was hooked up to an internal SATA port.

Can you test the drive with crystal disk benchmark on eSATA and on USB and show us the results?

Task manager shows +98mb of what being used?

And the idea of this nas was so eventually I could upgrade the desktop and laptops drives to ssd and not have a need for a large amount of storage. And keep the large files on the network.

Fyi: this is my first NAS purchase. The WD desktop app and mobile apps are def lacking. Desktop app freezes and stops after large transfers. Then I have to delete that transfer and start over. So I have just been transferring via network mapping.

I would only use it for storing things that don't require low access times to run properly. There is a big different between accessing files from your d:\ in your local system and E:\ over the network. It would probably be best to have an SSD for your OS, HDD for mass storage, and a network HDD for things you want to share between systems on the network.

The mobile app (iPhone) won't upload all of my photos at once. I have to manually select a few photos to upload. Then repeat the process. That and it doesn't remember what photos have been loaded on the drive. So the possibility of duplicates is great.

I know a nas like this is rare/doesn't exist. Just wish it did.

Hopefully WD will get with the game and throw some major updates out soon. If not I will be ditching the nas idea.

Working with iPhones is kind of a pain. You could move the photos to your desktop, then transfer them over to the network drive if you are concerned about duplicates.

When you get into higher end storage systems you can eliminate duplications with a process called deduplication. More info on what it does here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_deduplication

As I understand it, it only holds one copy of the data and makes a pointer in all of the other locations where the same file is uploaded. think of it like a shortcut that knows where the real data is. This process is pretty taxing on the hardware so you really only see it on freeNAS boxes that have been built for it, or other more professional systems.

It won't prevent you from adding multiple copies to a NAS, but it will notice that it already has the data and makes a pointer to the original data rather than storing a second copy.

Last edited:

C4C

Not sure if anybody has said this, but a lot of routers can support external storage and for like $80 WD makes a 2TB USB-powered HDD. (externally powered doesn't work for most).

Last edited:

strollin

If you want faster transfer speeds to/from your NAS you need to make sure your router and the NIC in your computer have gigabit LAN ports. In addition, make sure you have high quality network cables, CAT 5e or better.

I recently installed a WD MyCloud NAS on my network and was experiencing slow transfer speeds, similar to what you are seeing. I replaced my old network cables with new CAT 6 cables and now my transfers are 10x faster. I really think the bottleneck for me was because I had used a cheap coupler to join 2 shorter cables into a single longer cable.

BTW, I don't have any issues with the supplied WD software, not sure why you are experiencing freezing after large transfers and such. I mostly use my NAS as a Media Server.

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
Part of your problem is you have the external drive plugged into your NAS, and using your PC to copy the data. Basically, your computer is acting as the middle man, pulling files from the external drive, through the NAS, through your computer, back to your NAS, so you are reading and writing at the same time which is causing a bottleneck.

Access the GUI from your NAS and copy them that way, or plug the external into your computer.

G25r8cer

Part of your problem is you have the external drive plugged into your NAS, and using your PC to copy the data. Basically, your computer is acting as the middle man, pulling files from the external drive, through the NAS, through your computer, back to your NAS, so you are reading and writing at the same time which is causing a bottleneck.

Access the GUI from your NAS and copy them that way, or plug the external into your computer.

As stated I have the external plugged into my desktop now via esata

I have come to the conclusion that my router is at fault for the slow transfers

Router is limited to 100mbs

Will be purchasing a gigabit router when we move out. And one with a usb port to use my external with. MY 750gb will be used for hdd image backups of my desktop and my GF's laptop.

My motherboards nic supports gigabit FYI

Will be purchasing a good quality cable for my desktop as well.

Now I have a new problem I discovered last night.

It seems as though I cant fast forward or rewind any of the streamed videos to my samsung smart tv. I can using an external hdd so, I know the tv supports it. Def a problem with the my cloud.

Any ideas?

Well I just did some more research and figured it out.

Seems u can't use the actual ff/rwd buttons but rather have to use the arrow buttons. But it doesn't skip forward very fast. I miss having 1x,2x,3x options of skipping. Oh well it's not a deal breaker

Now another new issue

Some of the videos I try to play say "unsupported resolution".

These are videos that have been recorded with a screen capture device on my desktop

What is the preferred format type and resolution?

My TV is a Samsung F5500 32"

Weird problem as some of the videos that play fine are really weird resolution like 640x272 for one

The videos that wont play are 1400x850

Last edited by a moderator:

Geoff

VIP Member
As stated I have the external plugged into my desktop now via esata
I only read your first post, my apologies.

Router is limited to 100mbs
That is definitely the reason, the max speed you can get out of a 100Mbps connection is 12.5MB/s.

Will be purchasing a good quality cable for my desktop as well.
Anything Cat 5E or 6 will work fine, preferably Cat 6.

Some of the videos I try to play say "unsupported resolution".

These are videos that have been recorded with a screen capture device on my desktop

What is the preferred format type and resolution?
How are you playing your videos? Is it an app? Do you connect to your NAS using WD software or just browsing to a network share?

What an odd resolution... When recording stick to the standards, such as 720p, 1080p.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Anything Cat 5E or 6 will work fine, preferably Cat 6.

At home particularly, cat5e is plenty. Unless the cat6 is cheaper. The additional shielding is generally overkill for the typical distances and equipment around.

Geoff

VIP Member
At home particularly, cat5e is plenty. Unless the cat6 is cheaper. The additional shielding is generally overkill for the typical distances and equipment around.
That's true, but from what I found on Newegg/Amazon, the price is pretty much the same between the two, sometimes 5e is cheaper and other times 6 is cheaper.

G25r8cer

Videos are being played through just a network drive. As in changing the source on the tv.

No app being used.

Recording another one at a set resolution of 1280x720. We shall see if it works

Just crazy that some videos of small resolution play just fine.

Geoff

VIP Member
Weird problem as some of the videos that play fine are really weird resolution like 640x272 for one

Recording another one at a set resolution of 1280x720. We shall see if it works

Just crazy that some videos of small resolution play just fine.
1920x1080 and 1280x720 are a 16:9 aspect ratio, so my guess is 1400x850 uses an obscure aspect ratio that your TV isn't capable of natively playing.

G25r8cer

Well I got them playing just fine with a resolution of 1280x720 now.

I am using audials one software. Anyone know of something similar or better?

Geoff

VIP Member
Well I got them playing just fine with a resolution of 1280x720 now.

I am using audials one software. Anyone know of something similar or better?
Similar to do what exactly? Record the videos or change the resolution of existing ones?