Slow transfer speeds to WD My cloud

G25r8cer

Any other suggestions to recording?

Also it is my understanding that as long as I have a router I would be able to access this local network drive?

Meaning the nas is wired and my tv is wifi. I can still access the drive correct?

Can anyone recommend a fast (gigabit) router with a USB port? Looking to spend no more than $60

Also my external drive is NOT usb powered. It has its own power supply. And I would like the option of plugging it into a router if need be.

Can multiple usb devices be plugged into a usb router using a hub? Or just one single device?

If not are there routers with multiple or dual USB ports?

So if I got a gigabit router I should see 10x the transfer speeds compared to now with my 100mbps connection correct?

Last edited:

beers

Staff member
So if I got a gigabit router I should see 10x the transfer speeds compared to now with my 100mbps connection correct?

Assuming you don't have any storage speed types of bottlenecks. After protocol overhead you can usually expect around ~110-115 MB/sec.

G25r8cer

Sweet! Thanks everyone for the help.

And last time I checked my main drive does at least 100mb/s read so, that shouldn't be a problem. And my older external (Samsung 750gb 7200rpm) does close to it.

So I should be correct in assuming I will see at least 100mb/s transfers to the nas?

And about my previous question: since its a local area device I can see/stream from it to my lan without an Internet connection. And just a router is required?

Would I be able to connect to the nas via wifi (smart tv) through the lan without an Internet connection? I would assume this is possible.

However my network experience is very little. Sorry for the newbie questions

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
You should see around 100MB/s.

Yes, you can stream to devices on your LAN without an internet connection. Assuming said devices understand how to read/play the videos on the NAS.

G25r8cer

New problem with the NAS. Windows 8.1 keeps dropping the mapped share. I constantly have to remap it to see it in "My computer". Then sometimes it won't reconnect or I get this

What is the best way to map the drive?

Did some research and changed the group policy ... still same prob

When the above happens it still wont map and I must restart the computer or log off then on to try again

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
I assume you have the reconnect option enabled (edit: it is, sorry just saw it in the screenshot)? And the share is available at the times when you're losing it?

strollin

Is the firmware up to date on your NAS? I have a WDMyCloud NAS and have no problem keeping the share mapped on my Win 7 or Win 8 computers.

G25r8cer

When the mapping problem happens I can still access it through the network tab and right clicking the "mywdcloud".

Yes firmware is up to date and I have rebooted the nas a few times.

G25r8cer

I am def not the only one with this problem

Just tried this fix to turn off "autodisconnect"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297684

Also: Checked NAS firmware a few days ago and it was up to date. Just checked it now and there was an update however it was related to "apple time machine" which, I obviously don't have.

Did the update and the above registry tweak. Shall see if anything improves. This problem is more of a nuisance than anything. I access the NAS on a regular basis from my desktop and would love to be able to see the drive in "My Computer" as if it where a local drive.

Note: Have had this issue since shortly after getting the drive. Thought maybe it was an error by me but, I have tried numerous things.

This is def a Windows problem and not the NAS. As every other device (Mobile, TV, Win 7 laptop, etc) doesn't have this problem.

I have done plenty of research and attempted fixes for this. I have researched plenty of the same problem.

Strollin

Maybe I am just missing something stupid simple for some reason. Can you go over your setup/setting with me? Meaning the MYcloud UI and Twonky setup

Also do you stream anything to a mobile device (ios) from the drive? The my cloud app sure is lacking streaming support. I am trying to find a good/fast app for mobile streaming to my iphone.

Found one that looks promising but the free version doesn't allow video streaming (Remote file manager and Infuse)

Last edited: