Slow wifi on one laptop

slayerx17

Hi! Recently I upgraded my xfinity wifi to 1000MBs. I got around 950mb on every device, cellphones, pcs and other laptops, but on this one where the issue is i got only 40mbs max. Upgraded all drivers and it didn't help. I'm thinking about some wifi adapter, but i don't know which one will handle 1gb.

specs;

Qualcomm Atheros AR956x Wireless Network Adapter

xfinity xb6-t router

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately, that adapter is probably only good up to Wireless G which will give you less then 50mbps. You'll need a Wireless N or AC adapter.

slayerx17

Since its laptop and i cant have PCIe wireless adapter, maybe some usb adapter will do work? Or is it no way that USB stick will get close to gigabit speeds?

slayerx17

Oh awesome, thank You!
Got both ports so is there a diffrence which one do i buy because of usb 3.0?
Can You reccomend one adapter? First has 867mbps but it will be close to my max so its awesome anyway. At this point probably i should pick one with better range?

/Just saw asus got usb 2.0 and tp-link 3.0 so im asumming bottom one will be best for me?

OmniDyne

USB 2.0 is limited to 480 mbps and in practice is even slower.

In order to achieve true AC speeds you'll need to use a USB 3.0 port.

I have tested this myself with a USB AC adapter. USB 2.0 severely throttles speed and latency increases substantially.

Last edited:

slayerx17

Adapter 'boosted' my wifi from 40mb to 90mb so its not what i expected. Any other solutions without buying new laptop? :D

/actually adapter's app saying its 144mbps connection..

" A quick look at your generic list shows a lot of devices which are only capable of a max of 144 Mbps on the 2.4 GHz band, so that would be perfectly normal.

If you want higher speed, you need to move to the 5 GHz band."
How do i 'switch' to 5ghz? lol

Last edited:

OmniDyne

Adapter 'boosted' my wifi from 40mb to 90mb so its not what i expected. Any other solutions without buying new laptop? :D

/actually adapter's app saying its 144mbps connection..

" A quick look at your generic list shows a lot of devices which are only capable of a max of 144 Mbps on the 2.4 GHz band, so that would be perfectly normal.

If you want higher speed, you need to move to the 5 GHz band."
How do i 'switch' to 5ghz? lol

Routers usually broadcast two bands; 2.4GHz and 5GHz. You'll have to connect to the router's 5GHz wireless band. Was the laptop near the router when you checked the speed? Check the wireless network name that all of your other devices are connected to and make sure your laptop is connected to the same one.

OmniDyne

You may not have a dual band router.

I think he does, because all of his other devices are hitting 950Mbps. I think the laptop he's using is connected to the wrong band, unless I've misinterpreted something here.

Adapter 'boosted' my wifi from 40mb to 90mb so its not what i expected.

Wait, how old is this laptop? What model laptop is it?

If it doesn't have USB 3.0 ports you're not going to hit AC gigabit speeds. Again, USB 2.0 doesn't have the bandwidth.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Also depends on how much ram and what CPU it has. I've seen those cheap $99 specials struggle with high speed internet due to just being too slow to handle it.