WIndows 10 Slowly upgrading pc, need help with picking a motherboard

icmb_

Heyo,
Im currently going to update my pc over time and and am starting with a new Motherboard, Cpu & Case and was wondering if you guys had some advice as im quite lost when looking at motherboards and what not

My current build is
i7 3770 (with a Noctua NH-D14)(will need to buy brackets for am4 but Noctual sell them for the NH-D15 so should be ok)
12 gb DDR3 ram
ASUSTek p8Z77-v LX
GTX 970 4gb
500gb SSD 850 (boot drive & have a few random hard drives for photo editing)
Seasonic 600w plus (bought in 2012)

I was thinking of going for the following for the first bit of my upgrade
Corsair TX-M 650w 80plug gold
Ryzen 7 3800X
MSI X570-A Pro
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500gb (new bootdrive)

I really dont know what motherboard to goto and the one here is a guess, I want to have good upgradeability as In a year or so want to buy a beefy GPU and a fat ram upgrade. On amazon the MSI x570 pro is about 155£ I wouldnt be opposed to spending 170 £ max but could be convinced if its really worth it

Thanks!
Used this forum in 2012 when building my first pc and found it super helpful!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately, you'll have to add DDR4 ram to the first cost as well. New boards will not work with DDR3 ram. I would recommend Gigabyte for the motherboard.

beers

Staff member
Do you plan on having two PCs afterwards or would you sell the other components?

If selling I would reuse the PSU in the short term and drop the SSD for the time being, so you can add some DDR4 and consider bumping to a 3900x. The premium over the 3800x is only about +25% but you would get more than that from a long-term usability perspective. The 4000 series are also rumored to be coming out around October, so you may be able to either find a deal on 3000 series that are clearing stock, or have a newer CPU (rumored +15% perf) at a similar cost.

Then you'll be able to use the PC with the new mb/cpu/ram with your other components.

What was your performance goal on the GPU side?

icmb_

Unfortunately, you'll have to add DDR4 ram to the first cost as well. New boards will not work with DDR3 ram. I would recommend Gigabyte for the motherboard.

ah thanks! didnt realise :)

Do you plan on having two PCs afterwards or would you sell the other components?

If selling I would reuse the PSU in the short term and drop the SSD for the time being, so you can add some DDR4 and consider bumping to a 3900x. The premium over the 3800x is only about +25% but you would get more than that from a long-term usability perspective. The 4000 series are also rumored to be coming out around October, so you may be able to either find a deal on 3000 series that are clearing stock, or have a newer CPU (rumored +15% perf) at a similar cost.

Then you'll be able to use the PC with the new mb/cpu/ram with your other components.

What was your performance goal on the GPU side?

Not sure, either selling or putting parts together to give my brother so we can have a computer to use as tbh it still runs really well. Just wanting an upgrade for games and high rez photoshop editing

good shout, probably will only need a new psu when I get a new card. Found a 3800 is on sale and costs 15£ more than the 3700x so didnt mind spending a little more (end of stock sale)

With te gpu I want to run games easily at max settings and to be able to have no problem or lag with photoshop files that are over 10gb. Right now my videocard and cpu can manage editing unless there are lots of layers that are high dpi.

ill proabably buy a new card later in the year but thinking around the level of the 2070 or maybe 2080 if I save enough money but might just see how the gtx 970 runs with new components.