Small business networking help

bertscookie

I will be handling all IT related matters for a small business starting up. To start there will be 3 workstations running XP pro SP3. I will have another machine as a server. The business will be dealing with sensitive personal information so security is my main focus off the bat. We are working on a budget so I want to keep costs down and am having trouble deciding which way to go. Will I be better off with a server machine running server software and a regular router/switch for networking, or to have a server machine running XP pro with a firewall router (I have been looking at sonicwall and cisco products). I haven't worked much at all with hardware firewalls so any info, ideas, and/or criticism are welcome.

fmw

I will be handling all IT related matters for a small business starting up. To start there will be 3 workstations running XP pro SP3. I will have another machine as a server. The business will be dealing with sensitive personal information so security is my main focus off the bat. We are working on a budget so I want to keep costs down and am having trouble deciding which way to go. Will I be better off with a server machine running server software and a regular router/switch for networking, or to have a server machine running XP pro with a firewall router (I have been looking at sonicwall and cisco products). I haven't worked much at all with hardware firewalls so any info, ideas, and/or criticism are welcome.

The best approach for high security would be to run a domain server with an appropriate server operating system. Peer to peer networks are not as secure.

bertscookie

LOL what are you're thoughts? While that is secure I wouldn't say that is the most secure. I think I am going to go with a firewalled router. I have thought about using maybe a linux server with samba shares, that's a low cost secure way to go, just a pain to setup. :cool:

tlarkin

VIP Member
3 work stations hardly qualifies the need for a directory server....

How many people use these computers? I say get a decent router with built in security features, get a gigabit switch, and set up peer to peer networking.

Once you get into the 10+ user realm maybe directory services is worth looking at, but to set all that up for 3 work stations seems like a waste of time and money to me.

bertscookie

Yea, it's just 3 people for the time being I don't see it growing much past 5 in a year or two. So any recommendations on hardware? We are trying to stick to a budget but I want the equipment to work for more than a year. I heard sonicwall products are good from someone who used it before and I'm looking at some cisco firewall routers and switches.

fmw

No, I don't think using a domain server for 3 nodes is necessarily the right way to go. I said it was more secure and it is. I have no way to judge what the security requirements are based on the OP.

fmw

Yea, it's just 3 people for the time being I don't see it growing much past 5 in a year or two. So any recommendations on hardware? We are trying to stick to a budget but I want the equipment to work for more than a year. I heard sonicwall products are good from someone who used it before and I'm looking at some cisco firewall routers and switches.

If you are setting up a peer to peer wired network, then any name brand router or switch with 8 or more inputs will do the job. Routers and switches are very reliable. They have no moving parts. I still use one that is 12 years old. I think this is probably the least important issue in your network. Spend more time worrying about the wiring and setting up the software.

tlarkin

VIP Member
No, I don't think using a domain server for 3 nodes is necessarily the right way to go. I said it was more secure and it is. I have no way to judge what the security requirements are based on the OP.

Adding complication to a simple network doesn't always improve security. Simplicity does improve security though.

These machines running Windows?

I would set up a NAS of some sort and have the three users back up their data to the network share, and then run a script that runs cron daily on the NAS to back up that network share to an external device. Gotta have back ups for your back ups.

Now, I would just have some sort of decent router running NAT between your 3 clients and the Internet. I would make sure you have some sort of AV software and probably a software firewall since routers typically don't track outgoing packets.

The Qban

just keep it simple with a workgroup not necessarily a network. and try something like the netgear VPN Firewall switch 8 port FVS338. This is a remarkable device and i use it myself. Look it up, you might like what you see, if security is what you want, this is the bread and butter for small networks.