Small Network Issue.

Rip_Uk

I need to know of anything I can get to allow me to print from a networked laptop off a printer which is connected to a networked computer that is turned off. (through a wireless connection).

Can the printer go directly into the router so the computer can be left off and just the router on?

Trizoy

VIP Member
if the router has a usb connection, and so does the printer.. yes. Look at the router see if there is any kind of connection for a printer.

If not, no.

celsdogg

well, also if the printer has an ethernet connection which would allow it to communicate with the printer.

in other words, if the printer can only connect to the computer, then anytime the computer is off, then you wont be able to use the printer.

smithy23

You could buy a print server, and hook up to router, which i believe should let you print when the other computer off, as it is installed on each pc, and connected to the router through server.

Do a google serach on Print Servers for more details:

I partically like the dlink stuff, have a look on there website:

http://www.dlink.com

Rip_Uk

Trizoy said:
if the router has a usb connection, and so does the printer.. yes. Look at the router see if there is any kind of connection for a printer.

If not, no.

it has a usb and 4 ethernet connections, one ethernet is going to the computer already. But, when I send a document to print from the laptop to the router (router is connected to the printer via USB) it says that the printer is not recongnized or something and to install drivers.

do I have to install drivers somewhere else besides the computer I want to have turned off?

Rip_Uk

thanks, do I uninstall the drivers on the computer I want switched off or leave them?

And that .pdf file you gave me is actualy a "Print Server", Im not using one of those Im just using a wireless broadband router.

Last edited:

smithy23

The drivers shouldnt be a problem. So i dont think you should need to uninstal, they shouldnt make any problems

The concept of setting up the printer is still similar to that using a router.Try the article you mentioned and see how you go.