Smart Cell Phone

peter912

So since a smart phone is really just a miniature computer, is it not, I thought that I would post in this forum.
So I purchased a new smart phone, moto e4, and I have a question . I set it for the screen to not rotate from vertical to horizontal . Now I purchased an app from the google play store, blackjack and it is horizontal ,even though I set the phone to stay vertical. Why is the screen horizontal when the phone is set to remain vertical ? Then I had to download another blackjack app, also from the Google Play store, which was free by the way and it is vertical . So I basically wasted the $1.29 on the first app because I would like to play vertical and I can't get it to switch from horizontal.

peter912

Oh, sorry about that ( I posted in the wrong forum ) . I didn't see that you have a forum for smart phones but I'll know for next time though.

Darren

Staff member
Some apps can override the native resolution lock, I notice video players will. If the app itself is designed to always be horizontal it won't even check the accelerometer or OS for orientation, it just stays that way.

peter912

Some apps can override the native resolution lock, I notice video players will. If the app itself is designed to always be horizontal it won't even check the accelerometer or OS for orientation, it just stays that way.

Thanks for the information. Actually it is nicer to have a larger screen in horizontal mode. The problem is that it is harder to hold the phone horizontally unless it was placed on a table . That's the reason that I prefer it to be viewed vertically.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
A lot of apps will automatically turn horizontal just because you can see more when its horizontal compared to vertical. There is nothing you can do about it. Even when I'm browsing the forum I prefer to turn it sideways as I definitely see more.

Agent Smith

designed to always be horizontal it won't even check the accelerometer

That would be the gyroscope. :D

Edit--
I guess you're half right. From Google.

Accelerometer and gyroscope. Accelerometers in mobile phones are used to detect the orientation of the phone. The gyroscope, or gyro for short, adds an additional dimension to the information supplied by the accelerometer by tracking rotation or twist.

beers

Staff member
I have an E4 in a box somewhere.

As per others certain apps can force horizontal. Those apps generally don't have a portrait mode to begin with so it's not as inconvenient like 'AGHH I MOVED MY PHONE 10 DEGREES AND THE WHOLE THING FLIPPED'

Darren

Staff member
I have an E4 in a box somewhere.

As per others certain apps can force horizontal. Those apps generally don't have a portrait mode to begin with so it's not as inconvenient like 'AGHH I MOVED MY PHONE 10 DEGREES AND THE WHOLE THING FLIPPED'
I roll constant vertical lock but can force horizontal in video players. Works for me. Using my phone horizontally to browse just feels weird.