SMART, Status bad, back up and replace!!!

inferno14

when i boot up my computer, it keeps on getting stuck on starting windows screen. nothing happens after that. even when i prerss ctrl alt del. nothing works! what is going on!!

waited for a bit and there was a promt saying that hdd SMART, status bad, back up and replace or something like that.

how do i back it up when it wont even load to the windows screen??

why did it even happen? i was just checking it for bad sectors with easus partition master utility. and is there anything like going into command prompt or booting into safe mode i can do? or anything like that?

need help guys.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
SMART is telling you that the hard drive is going bad and needs to be replaced. You would have to slave the drive to another system and hopefully it will allow you to access the drive and copy the data over.

Hard drives can go out at any time, even the day you get it, or it could last 5 years or more before going out.

linkin

VIP Member
You can temporarily disable SMART in the BIOS to access your data, without having to slave the drive I'm guessing.

inferno14

it was working perfectly fine the previous day. alright. so lets say i get a new hdd and slave this one. how would i go abt doing it? like into the bios and select this one as slave? and then what?

currently my dvd-rw is slave..

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you only have one IDE port then you'll have to disconnect the dvd drive in order to transfer data over.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Then if everything is sata then there is no master/slave settings so to speak except for boot order in the bios. Basically you buy a new drive and install windows and then connect the bad drive to open sata connector and boot into the new windows and then copy data over.