Snoopers Charter

Britguy

So Britain is about to force all ISPs to hold all the browsing history of every British internet user for 12 months. Proper Big Brother stuff.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...y-what-does-it-mean-a7436251.html#commentsDiv

Just wondered why VPNs you would recommend. Any free ones? how secure are paid ones? I don't like the idea of handing over my name and bank details to one because they still store the browsing data. Any other ideas on how we can bypass this.

_Glitch

I believe it's a trial though. After a amount of data you need to pay.
but there are plenty of them on the chrome store. So when that expires you can go for the next one.

_Glitch

Indeed it will. But only on the browser. So if you use another program that also sends data over the network, like steam or free torrent clients, that will still be monitored.

Britguy

Indeed it will. But only on the browser. So if you use another program that also sends data over the network, like steam or free torrent clients, that will still be monitored.

Ah right, thanks for the advice, I'll look into it. Disgusting what our government are doing.

_Glitch

Yeah it sucks. It's non of their business.

Btw, if you do deside to start throwing money at it, VPN's might still be a good idea, but Proxies are cheaper and sometimes free.
It really depends on your needs which one you should go for.

I have never tried any VPN's before myself, so i am not the right one to ask, but here is an article from PCmag that talks about the best VPN options for 2016.
http://uk.pcmag.com/software/138/guide/the-best-vpn-services-of-2016

About the proxy again, i have found another one here. It's 100% free if you registre and it was one of the first chrome proxies extension in the chrome store. Downloaded almost 21.000 times. That's a lot for a proxy.
So keep this one in mind. If the other one doesn't live up to your expectations or it start asking you to pay, download zenmate instead... or now if you will. Haven't tried ether. I used another one that i don't think excist anymore.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...ber-se/fdcgdnkidjaadafnichfpabhfomcebme?hl=en

Britguy

Cool, thanks for the links. I think the VPN companies will soon be getting lots of extra business from Brits.

Britguy

All I want is a way to prevent the ISP from knowing which sites I visit because they will hold that data for 12 months. Won't a proxy do that?

Britguy

That means if it's not HTTPS or other TLS enabled protocol then all of the data inside of the packets will be visible.

Agencies will only be able to view the sites you visit, not the pages. I don't if that data is required to be stored as part of this law but if it is then I'd imagine they'd need a court order to see it.

beers

Staff member
Agencies will only be able to view the sites you visit, not the pages.
Of course that's what they tell you. Since they can already capture DNS requests it would be extremely trivial to capture the data packets too.

In all honesty this is already happening.