So how can I have two Desktops in the same account?

johnnyb58

I copied a photo to my Desktop, but then I could not find it. After about an hour of searching I finally found the photo, but in another Desktop.

I don't know what to do now. Do I just delete it?

Darren

Staff member
Figure out which one is your actual desktop. Drag something to your desktop and see which folder it shows up in. The other will just function as a folder.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Alright let’s see if I can say this differently. When I open up Windows File Explorer, I have two desktops listed under my account. Each has completely separate files depending on when I downloaded or copied a file to Desktop.

I guess what I need to ask is what happens when I delete a desktop?
Post a screenshot please.

Darren

Staff member
Why do you save stuff on your desktop anyway? Seems like needless clutter? I don't put anything in there and hide all my icons. You have folders like My Documents and Pictures for a reason.

It just drives me crazy because I like to put things on my desktop so I can easily find them and then move them someplace after I'm done with them. If I haven't named them before saving them to the desktop like photos from my camera then I have to search my whole computer trying to find them.
I set my data drive as the desktop folder, to keep unnecessary folders and files off the C: Drive. Then, I either put short cuts to specific folders, like images (which are usually on cloud accounts anyway) or other files.

Or, I do as @Darren suggested and put them in their respective sub-folders in Documents.

Darren

Staff member
I don’t play games on my computer. I actually use folders to store stuff.

Is that supposed to be some kind of back handed comment?

You guys are missing the point. I only want one desktop and don’t know what the repercussions would be if I delete one. I doesn’t matter how I use my desktop.

We've already answered this question. Drop something on your desktop, figure out which desktop folder it's in. Delete the other one. From your screenshot it almost looks like it's just got pointers to the same folder in a few different places, it's normal to see it under both Quick Access and This PC, although two under Quick Access is kinda odd.

Figure out which one is your actual desktop. Drag something to your desktop and see which folder it shows up in. The other will just function as a folder.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Quick access is folders you have opened before. You see multiples in there because presumably you have opened one or more of the Desktop named locations. I do not know which is which, but just right click and pick remove from this list, then open the Desktop from under the My PC heading and you should be good.

Or you can open the Quick Access desktop locations and see where they actually are, but if all you want is your users desktop, I would do the remove from this list thing.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you right click on the 2 desktops up top and click on properties, it will tell you the exact location of that particular shortcut. But your duplicates will be from one drive location. Just unpin the ones from one drive if it bothers you that bad.

johnnyb58

I think I got it figured out. Last week my wife had trouble longing into her account so I coped all her stuff into a new folder in my account and I guess her desktop was brought in too. After creating her a new account and moving all her files back to her new account, her old desktop remained in mine. I didn’t think that’s possible because I tried something like this years ago in XP and wasn’t allowed unless I changed the desktop name to something else like desktop1 or something.

Anyway I deleted everything that didn’t belong and now she can’t get into our public shared documents. I can get to them through my account although it’s not easy. I’m thinking about making a shortcut, but that’s another story so I’m done with this for now.