So how do I get windows 10 back after reformat?

EthanJM

Hello, I just had to reformat my computer, I was not expecting to run into this problem.

So a few years ago I bought the windows 8 oem disk. A bit over a year ago I got the free windows 10 upgrade. Just now I had to reformat, so I used my windows 8 oem disk and put windows 8 on my computer. I am reading you are suppose to be able to get your windows 10 license back even after a reformat. When I used the tool here...
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
It asked for a product key. I just tried to use my windows 8 product key to install windows 10, that didn't work, it didn't accept it. Honestly wasn't expecting it to ask before it was even installed so I didn't know what else to do. It was suppose to have given me a digital key, I thought it would check for it and let me proceed. What am I doing wrong?
I'm stumped, my computer was compromised and I have been switching emails, changing passwords, changing accounts to different emails, etc. Also the obligatory backups before reformat, been burning to dvd for hours. It's taken me all day and I'd like to put this behind me.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you already upgraded to 10 then don't enter a key when it asks. Just click on I don't have a key and install 10. It will auto activate when it gets to the desktop because you have a digital license now.

Last edited:

EthanJM

Thanks for the help, I got it. Sorry I never responded, been dealing with a lot from this attack. I am making another thread now.