So Im going to build a computer

TimGodsil

In about 3-4 months, all just depends on how getting a job goes.

I know alot about computers, but I want some sugesstions so I can plan this build ahead of time. So builder please take this breif questionaire.

1. How many watts psu will I need for a quad core cpu, with 2 optical drives, and new hard drives?
2. How much cpu power will I need to process 1080p video, play Hires Games, etc.
3. What cant a 2.6 GHZ AMD propus quad core do?
3.1 Would I need a quad core, or will a dual core do it all?
4. Who makes a good sub-$75 case?
5. Do I need firewire?
6. Whats a good brand of Hard Drive?
7. How much memory do I need (see question #2)
8. Whats a good brand name of sound card?
9. Nvida or amd video card?
10. How many mb should it be (see #2)
11. What kind of cooler will I need to cool a quad core?
12. Is water cooling a waste of money for this cpu?
13. What is a good brand of motherboard?
14. What would be a disadvantage, if any, of having a side window?
15. Steel or Plastic Case?
16. Who makes a good PSU?
17. Do I still need a floppy drive for any reason?

alexizkewl

6. It doesnt matter about brand just get a good, rpm or solid state if you are wishing to go expensive
10. 4gb will be fine to run everything you need in a basic computer, but for gaming i'd stretch 6gb+
17. no

Phippsp

First of all I think you need to ask yourself some other questions first before you begin to build this computer.

1. How much money you plan on spending your budget.
2. What are you planing on doing with this computer.

Their are tons of good post and tutorials on this site that will already explain most of the questions that you asked. If you answer the questions above it will be easier for you to get some help.

Also in three to four months most of what you look at now will be obsolete and you will half to relearn all the knowledge again lol. But just read up on the other post and tutorials and they will answer all your questions.

Jamin43

banned
I'll weigh in

In about 3-4 months, all just depends on how getting a job goes.

I know alot about computers, but I want some sugesstions so I can plan this build ahead of time. So builder please take this breif questionaire.

1. How many watts psu will I need for a quad core cpu, with 2 optical drives, and new hard drives?
Corsair Power Supply Calcluator
2. How much cpu power will I need to process 1080p video, play Hires Games, etc.
3. What cant a 2.6 GHZ AMD propus quad core do?Not much, but there are differences between Phenom, Athlon, & Phenom II, GHZ is not the sole factor in cpu performance
3.1 Would I need a quad core, or will a dual core do it all?Unless building a budget PC - I'd go with quad core
4. Who makes a good sub-$75 case? Antec, CoolerMaster
5. Do I need firewire?
6. Whats a good brand of Hard Drive? Seagate & Western Digital
7. How much memory do I need (see question #2) 4GB should cover most people's needs
8. Whats a good brand name of sound card?Do you need one. Most people can get by using the sound card in their MOBO
9. Nvida or amd video card? fip a coin. Price / Performance pretty comparable. If you want the fastest card out right now - ATI is it 5870 or 5950 series.
10. How many mb should it be (see #2)
11. What kind of cooler will I need to cool a quad core?xigmatech, Coolermaster V8, Noctua, lots to choose from - depending on budget - if / how much you want to overclock.
12. Is water cooling a waste of money for this cpu? Yes, except extreme overclockers
13. What is a good brand of motherboard? Asus, Gigabyte are two solid brands
14. What would be a disadvantage, if any, of having a side window?For a Case - it's personal choice for " looks "
15. Steel or Plastic Case?Steel
16. Who makes a good PSU?Corsair, Thermaltake, OCZ, Antec are a few
17. Do I still need a floppy drive for any reason?
Nostalgia - :D

Toms Hardware
&
Techreport

Are good sites to find performance Benchmarks and thorough articles on questions you might have re: video cards, cpu's, and other hardware components you might be interested in.

Last edited: