So, is it illegal to torrent a copy of windows if you already own the OS?

massahwahl

VIP Member
I would totally be on board paying a reasonable annual subscription to MSoft if that meant getting new service packs and OS releases quicker. Maybe it would even kick them in the butt to release good OSs instead of subpar ones.

mac550

Microsoft now wants to go to a yearly subscription fee, where the customer pays a set amount of money each year (to be determined) and it allows them to download whatever versions they want and are available. Of course it is only in the works nothing official about it yet.

Remember you don't own windows, you lease it for $150 to $300 per a license.

now come on man, what the hell? what is the point in that? if microsoft stop thinking about money (like they dont have enough) for once stupid lives and sat down and thought how to get around people copying windows, then they would see thats it not hard to cut it by at least 50/65%, if not more.

And they way i look at it, i do own my copy of windows, i paid for it, screw microsoft and there pointless rules.

Sorry to rant but they microsoft do beep me off sometimes

Torrenting is 100% legal, and I'm pretty sure someone in Canada can download the latest Linux torrent... maybe I'm wrong though. It's a problem with the people using the torrents, not the torrents themselves.

downloading Linux is legal and Linux programmer let you download and copy it providing you follow the GPL

Last edited:

massahwahl

VIP Member
Im pretty sure that torrents used correctly are legal everywhere, at least, ive never heard of them being illegal anywhere except for malicious activities.

teamhex

What would the government rather do? Fight cyber terrorism or see if Joe Shmoe torrent the latest movie/music?
Its really not the government, they made the law, its up to the person who owns the copyright to catch you. Then they send a letter to your ISP that they forward to you saying quit it and delete it. My friends gotten 3 and hasn't been sued so...I don't know what happens after that. Really I think they are only out to bust people running big servers. Its not worth it for them to catch some poor kid with a dsl connection.

Last edited: