so my corsair pc3200

Bobo

banned
kgod86 said:
well its dual channel, so doews that mean it operates together to work at 400mhz?
No. The data output rate is roughly doubled, but each stick operates at the same speed

Dual Channel. A popular buzzword, dual channel refers to the idea of running two memory controllers to feed data to the CPU thus providing a theoretical doubling of the throughput capacity (currently only available on select DDR and DDR2 configurations). The reasoning for this is simple:
  • DDR/DDR2 memory uses a 64bit interface to commuinicate with the memory controller. For 200MHz (DDR400) clock, the maximum throughput becomes 64bits x 200MHz x 2 ÷ 8bits/byte = 3200MB/s ~= 3.2GB/s (note here that MB is defined as 1-million)
  • The most straightforward way to improve performance (as demonstrated in the videocard market) is to double the memory interface to 128bits. Doing so would provide for 128bits x 200MHz x 2 ÷ 8bits/byte = 6400MB/s ~= 6.4GB/s of throughput. This however is too electrically complex to be implememented.
  • Now suppose we have two (or four) sticks of memory, each with it's own private connection to a memory controller (i.e., each stick or pair of sticks would have it's own 3.2GB/s connection to the memory controller). This would mean that the aggregate throughput is roughly 6.4GB/s. This is the principle behind dual-channel memory.
  • A comparison of single vs dual-channel memory is in VFAQ

Bobo

banned
kgod86 said:
so then my 200mhz memory is good tho right?
Depends what you call good....if you are asking if there is something wrong with it, then no, it is supposed to be running at 200MHz.

kgod86

Bobo said:
Depends what you call good....if you are asking if there is something wrong with it, then no, it is supposed to be running at 200MHz.
well what is the definition of good high quality memory?

DDR stands for double data rate, which means 200mhz x 2 = 400mhz. Hope that sums it up.

So each stick is running at 400mhz. Dual channel widens the bandwidth for data to flow through. By as it says, making 2 channels instead of one.

Last edited:

sniperchang

{LSK} Otacon said:
well yes, but the frequincy is doubled making it 400mhz.

No it's mosly a markiting strategy. Sellers say that since it's DDR (Double Data Rate) it runs at DDR400 (Looks more like a name than a speed) wich actually means it runs at 200mhz. Sellers confuse people by thinking 200mhz*2 = 400! WRONG :rolleyes:

Basicly: PC3200 = DDR400 = 200mhz

TheChef

{LSK} Otacon said:
well yes, but the frequincy is doubled making it 400mhz.

No.

No. The sticks run at 200MHz.

The 64bit interface is doubled, not the frequency, to 128bits.

The frequency remains at 200Mhz until overclocked. Period.

kgod86

TheChef said:
No.

No. The sticks run at 200MHz.

The 64bit interface is doubled, not the frequency, to 128bits.

The frequency remains at 200Mhz until overclocked. Period.
whats a stable speed to overclock it to?

You would have to have a pretty freakin high FSB to get that ram up to 400 or even 500mhz (DDR500) so why would they make them be able to reach that high? Since ram syncs (or is supposed to) with your fsb, there is no cpu that has a 400mhz fsb to sync the ram to run at 400mhz. So it wouldnt be possible to run at those speeds unless you overclocked your computer hardcore. I understand that double data rate means that it goes from 64 to 128. Its the same thing as the bus speed on cpus, the DDRs clock speed is double pumped. 200mhz x 2 = 400mhz. Yes the core clock is 200mhz, but it is double pumped to 400mhz.

Here is where it is explained:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR2

"Unlike SDR, both DDR and DDR2 are double pumped"

Last edited:

Bobo

banned
{LSK} Otacon said:
or even 500mhz (DDR500)
500MHz is DDR1000.
Since ram syncs (or is supposed to) with your fsb, there is no cpu that has a 400mhz fsb to sync the ram to run at 400mhz.
My FSB is 200MHz, but my RAM is 400MHz. (DDR2-800)
Its the same thing as the bus speed on cpus, the DDRs clock speed is double pumped. 200mhz x 2 = 400mhz. Yes the core clock is 200mhz, but it is double pumped to 400mhz.
Nonononono
Here is where it is explained:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR2

"Unlike SDR, both DDR and DDR2 are double pumped"
Exactly. You explain precisely how you are wrong.

• DDR-200: DDR-SDRAM memory chips specified to operate at 100 MHz
  • DDR-266: DDR-SDRAM memory chips specified to operate at 133 MHz
  • DDR-333: DDR-SDRAM memory chips specified to operate at 166 MHz
  • DDR-400: DDR-SDRAM memory chips specified to operate at 200 MHz
  • PC-1600: DDR-SDRAM memory module specified to operate at 100 MHz using DDR-200 chips, 1.600 GByte/s bandwidth
  • PC-2100: DDR-SDRAM memory module specified to operate at 133 MHz using DDR-266 chips, 2.133 GByte/s bandwidth
  • PC-2700: DDR-SDRAM memory module specified to operate at 166 MHz using DDR-333 chips, 2.667 GByte/s bandwidth
  • PC-3200: DDR-SDRAM memory module specified to operate at 200 MHz using DDR-400 chips, 3.200 GByte/s bandwidth
;)

Ok seriously.

1. 500mhz IS DDR500 cuz i know cuz i have DDR500 ram. And also, there is no such thing as DDR1000, the highest DDR goes is DDR600.

2. I did not prove how i was wrong, IF you READ it says in there that it IS double pumped making the clock speed times 2.

Are we done here?

Ok, here is proof. This is a pic of my ram, if it doesnt run at 200mhz double pumped to 400mhz then it would not say 400mhz on the stick, that would be false advertising and the company could get sued. Which proves that it is doubled.

http://www.legitreviews.com/images/reviews/69/label.jpg

Last edited:

Bobo

banned
{LSK} Otacon said:
1. 500mhz IS DDR500 cuz i know cuz i have DDR500 ram. And also, there is no such thing as DDR1000, the highest DDR goes is DDR600.
There is no such thing as DDR-500, and if there was, it would be 250MHz.
2. I did not prove how i was wrong, IF you READ it says in there that it IS double pumped making the clock speed times 2.
You are missing the whole point.

It achieves greater bandwidth than ordinary SDRAM by transferring data on both the rising and falling edges of the clock signal (double pumped). This effectively nearly doubles the transfer rate without increasing the frequency of the front side bus. Thus a 100 MHz DDR system has an effective clock rate of 200 MHz when compared to equivalent SDR SDRAM, the “SDR” being a retrospective designation.
The chips in DDR-400 actually run at 100MHz, but because they are "double pumped," they run effectively at 200MHz. Hence the term DDR, or Dual Data Rate, because it is twice as fast as SDR.

Are you able to just admit that you are wrong?

DDR-200: DDR-SDRAM memory chips specified to operate at 100 MHz
DDR-266: DDR-SDRAM memory chips specified to operate at 133 MHz
DDR-333: DDR-SDRAM memory chips specified to operate at 166 MHz
DDR-400: DDR-SDRAM memory chips specified to operate at 200 MHz
Ok, here is proof. This is a pic of my ram, if it doesnt run at 200mhz double pumped to 400mhz then it would not say 400mhz on the stick, that would be false advertising and the company could get sued. Which proves that it is doubled.

http://www.legitreviews.com/images/reviews/69/label.jpg
Look in your BIOS. What is it running at? If it is PC3200, it does not run at 400MHz. Period. Sue them if you want to, but it doesn't.
Are we done here?
If you'd stop making a fool of yourself, we could be

Ok first off you just proved me right by sayin that the ram is doubled pumped which is what i said from the start.

2. Yes it is DDR500 250mhz x 2 = 500mhz that is why they call it DDR500 and not DDR250, duh.

3. You denied that the ram was double pumped and now you are sayin it is?

4. Do you actually think a company like Corsair and all the other ram companies would risk being sued for false advertising? no.

And what point exactly am i missing?

Well, thats enough for now i have to go back to work.