so my friend came round and..

peterw24

we had windows xp on the old computer (evaluation running out) and he tried to put on ME.
all i know is now it wont install anything
i'm attemptin to install winxp pro through dos and its copying files now.
if this fails, what can i do just to get the thing going to install another os

depends on what resources you have. if you have another hard drive spare, plug that in and install xp on that. or download a live linux cd and boot off that - then play around on that.

generally it is not recommended that you should install an older OS on top of XP, i tried installing w2k on XP, then XP wouldnt load, until i told it to load fail-safe defaults from teh boot loader, then after that w2k stopped working so i deleted it. :p

ME is sort of a non-os, and is a bit buggy. hope ur xp install goes well...

just curious...why would you want ME stead' of XP (even home edition). I had a terrible time with ME.

I would also not recommend win me, but if you must ... You will need to reformat the drive. If you have a boot floppy you can boot to it and run FDISK to partition and format.

i wasn't trying to install wme on a ntfs system.
we scrapped that idea and installed a copy of winxp pro.
1st attempt it had some error and later froze, and then on second attempt, all is well :D

now that thats over, time to buy another ethernet cable...

however... i just got access to a power point, so i started it up and it says:
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

?

Hmmm...

Everyone seems to be cussing ME. I thought it was really good. Never had as many problems as with 98 SE or XP. It was the best and most stable OS I had. Well I must say that I do defrag and all that stuff very often and try to keep my system clean from junk. Maybe that's why I never had any problems...LOL.

JAN :D

Back