So that's what 128 gigabytes of RAM looks like ...

4W4K3

VIP Member
Huh that's pretty cool. I found the forum more interesting though lol. I was amazed at the amount of knowledge expressed in some of the replies/posts. Those people must really be up to date. I am not...so it impressed me :p

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Huh that's pretty cool. I found the forum more interesting though lol. I was amazed at the amount of knowledge expressed in some of the replies/posts. Those people must really be up to date. I am not...so it impressed me :p

yeah i thought it was intresting so i thought i would share it with you guys,

i hope the mods here dont think im spamming with the forum link because thats not what i intended.

i could always remove the link and just paste the images if they wanted but people would keep asking where i got the pics from etc so... :D

Last edited:

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
That is cool, Lucky ppl that can afford to buy that

Yeah but businesses can afford them especialy if they are huge companys,the guy who posted it said they will probaby use it for Stellar models, climate simulations ... that kind of thing. Folks in those kind of areas are constantly restrained by the capacity of their machines.

it has like 8 dual-core Opterons running at 2.8GHz each :eek:

WOW :eek:

kobaj

VIP Member
It has a lot of ram, and great processors, but what graphics card? Surly thats a huge bottle neck? Especially for 3d earth modeling?

:p

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Huh that's pretty cool. I found the forum more interesting though lol. I was amazed at the amount of knowledge expressed in some of the replies/posts. Those people must really be up to date. I am not...so it impressed me
A lot of goons are very smart or know next to everything about something. You'd be suprised at what they can find out given a tiny amount of information about someone (I know of a case where they apparently found someones phone number and called the guys parents). Photoshop Phriday's are fun too, tons of them are VERY good at photoshop.

I can't view the page here (something awful is firewalled) but anything with that much RAM must be a huge DB server or something. I think there's some HP servers that can come with up to 1TB of RAM or something obscene like that.

Burgerbob

I think what he forgot to mention is that it is actually just 128MB of RAM, in PC66 underclocked to PC33, timings 20-35-35-50. It runs Windows ME Server Edition. jk...

patrickv

lol.this is funny i love it when the guy said :

" But seriously I can't imagine what can possibly utilize that amount of ram."

Adobe Acrobat

lol.hahahaha

leetkyle

The thing is, you're all going "wow!" but every home system will need that sort of stuff in < 10 years probably. Nonetheless, that's a lot of RAM DIMMs in that system!

Platinum

Wow, I'm jealous. I'm gunna start saving for that right now. Screw climate simulations and stellar models, I'd run WoW on that baby right there. Heh.

Tayl

VIP Member
And to think, I get annoyed when troubleshooting a faulty RAM stick when I only have two sticks of RAM in my machine. Imagine troubleshooting one faulty stick within that thing. Surely heatpipes aren't enough to cool that entire thing without fans?

Breaks.

Ben

VIP Member
What's funny is that in 10 years or so, we'll probably have that much ram in a single stick, and it'd be the minimum required to run Windows Galactica or whatever.

I did some quick calculations for a high-end workstation.

1997 - 2007 - 2017
32MB -> 4096MB 128x -> 524 GB
4GB -> 750GB 187,5x -> 140 terabyte
350 MHz -> Quad-core 3GHz 120x -> 128 core 20GHz

What's even more funny, is that this guy could be right. Technology has really been booming these past years. New Technologies are being found almost every month.