socket 478 HSF needed???

lman

hey all, I have a Intel P4 2600, that idles at about 100 degrees and can get up to 116 or 118 during extended loads, I have pleanty of airflow and have throughly cleaned all the dust bunnies out. Is this to hot?? and if so can anyone recomend a good inexpensive HSF? and also I have read a few articles on how to replace a HSF, but is it something that anyone can do. I have changed video cards and added RAM, so I am not totaly uncomfortable inside a case. and advice would be appericated

oscaryu1

VIP Member
Are those in Fahrenheit or Celsius? If Celsius that's way to hot!

Use common sense. At around 80C it would have self - shudown... at 100 it would be frying itself and he would notice how his computers becoming an heater... and at 110 or so his case would be an oven...

Farenheit.. pretty sure it is.. right? :(

Good temp if it is in F...

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
The temps are fine. 118F is about 48C. If it gets up around 150 then it's getting too hot.

lman

ok, thanks, could you all recomend a low cost HSF, just in case I decide to go ahead and change it, or would the temp drop be negligible? and how hard is this to do?

oscaryu1

VIP Member
ok, thanks, could you all recomend a low cost HSF, just in case I decide to go ahead and change it, or would the temp drop be negligible? and how hard is this to do?

The stock one is fine unless you plan on overclocking, or your temps get higher than 50C..