Socket 478 Motherboard Predicament

Hsv_Man

So i have found myself in a bit of a predicament with one of my customers who's motherboard a socket 478 for pentium has failed on them and he doesn't want to purchase a new machine the hardware he has is fairly old my last machine was a 478 socket but unfortunately my motherboard died also which led me to building the machine you see today.

The problem i see i am going to have is acquiring the Socket 478 motherboard in the first place. 3 years ago i went out and somehow found a socket 478 motherboard at a computer fair it was a micro atx asrock and of course it only lasted only a year before failing.

So what would you do in this situation?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Convince your customer they're an idiot to spend money on old hardware like that :p

Best bet would be Newegg or eBay.

Hsv_Man

Convince your customer they're an idiot to spend money on old hardware like that :p

Best bet would be Newegg or eBay.

Lol this is what i thought from the start but he insists he wants a new motherboard and that is all. Seems i can't win here in Australia the only chance i probally have of finding a socket 478 motherboard is at a Computer Fair held every 2 weeks on a sunday i am hoping to get there this sunday and seeing if i can pick up a

new Motherboard
new HSF
new Sata Hard Drive

all for between $200-$220

Hsv_Man

So today (well yesterday now) i went and got the new parts

Motherboard, Heatsink Fan and Sata hard drive

and to my suprise it was very cheap cost only $90 all up granted they are used parts but they were in good condition. I put the hardware into the case and it booted up first go. Had to reinstall windows which is a pain on the new hard drive so he doesn't lose his files. I am currently installing updates for Win XP Pro and i must have downloaded and installed atleast 300 updates by now. Happily once this is done all i will have to do is cable tie some cords up in the case and that will be job done. Glad that one is over :)

Hsv_Man

Well you wouldn't believe it 2 days ago i get a call saying that the person i just replaced all these parts for (just over 1 month ago) saw a flash in their case followed by the computer being fully off. So he says to me that he needs a new power supply

So i go and get a power supply for him and put it in today and the computer still doesn't boot and the light on the motherboard saying that power is running to it isn't on. So now after two dead motherboards i am finally suggesting he gets a new computer and will put this to him today.

blue957400

Sucks...I have like 4-5 older Pcs which of 2-3 have socket 478 mobos and proccessors....if only you where in the states..