Socket 754 VS. Socket 939

fade2green514

socket 939 supports dual channel, nearly doubling memory bandwidth.
get 939 or AM2 they're both good... but AM2 is what i'd go with.

mgoldb2

VIP Member
fade2green514 said:
socket 939 supports dual channel, nearly doubling memory bandwidth.
Is Dual Channel Worth It? Will I Notice?
Dual Channel is a neato way of improving performance but that's really only for instances where it's really needed (see definition of Dual Channel). An easy example of where dual channel will give zero benifit is if the memory operations are exclusively within one of the channels (i.e., for small stuff). Even when you do stuff that dual channel has a benifit, the most you'll see is like 10% (less for AMD-Socket754 processors since they have an on-die memory controller which gives it the majority of it's gaming performance).

To avoid misinterpretation, what i mean is that "comparing a Dual Channel system to a Single Channel system will result in a performance delta of no more than 10% -- even less if we specifically choose a Socket754 processor since the impact of having an ondie memory controller is much more significant than the lack of dual channel"

RAM101

apj101

VIP Member
Yes they do. If they dont, then why do they say Athlong 64 3200+ HT?
Because HT != Hyperthreading

if am2 is in your budget for a new rig then you sould not be looking at s939

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
if am2 is in your budget for a new rig then you sould not be looking at s939
Well since AM2 and S939 arent that far apart (if even any), S939 shouldnt really be considered :)

fade2green514

so mgoldb2...
you mean to say that dual channel works like dual core??!
GASP NO REALLY lol
basically, if it needs the bandwidth it'll use it.
more applications use dual channel than they use dual core.
dual channel does close to double bandwidth though.
its not like going from ddr400 to ddr800, but its the closest thing without increasing heat a lot.
of course, even at ddr800 you could run it in dual channel, so WHY THE HECK NOT? lol

thats why 939 is better than 754 at least.
AM2 is newer, and 939 is discontinued (at least, no more cpu's will be designed specifically for it)
it supports ddr2 which is kind of cool...
and it'll support quad core... which might be a little less cool (quite literally) depending on how things go in the next year.

Last edited:

apj101

VIP Member
more applications use dual channel than they use dual core.
dual channel is implemented at a hardware level and therefore application do not need to actively use it. Unlike dual core where application can be coded to make use of more than one thread