Socket change.

helmie

I doubt VERY much that they will send you a LGA775 in exchange for it. Sell the 478 on ebay and buy a LGA775.

Charles_Lee

andy5667 said:
Nooooooooo. Im talkin about like if i send my processor back, would intel convert it to LGA775.

why what's wrong with your processor?
Temporary pc (Until July after frying incident)???
overclocked?? how is the warrenty?

andy5667

Well i dont know. Some people say that LGA775 is faster. The pentium 4 that im speaking of is the one that i thought i fried a while back so its going to go in a media center pc but like i was wondering, i wasnt sure if i should change to LGA775 over 478.

Charles_Lee

andy5667 said:
i wasnt sure if i should change to LGA775 over 478.
what do you mean by that???
how can you change socket 478 to LGA775???
do you mean to exchange the whole thing that you have bught?
or do you mean to change the motherboard only? from your original computer?

andy5667

Right i was only asking if it was possible! ok! What i mean is should i sell the 478 and go LGA775 or stick with the 478? And no i dont have a budget as im not building a full pc. All i need is a motherboard.

fade2green514

id say you've got a better chance of sticking a new socket onto the motherboard than you do of changing the socket the processor is compatible with, know what i mean? for some reason i highly doubt you'll ever do that, and id suggest you simply buy a new motherboard and a new processor... try an AMD if you havent, its quite a different type of a processor.

i.Angel

Jeez... you cannot convert a socket 478 to a socket 775! Just spend the extra money and upgrade to a newer processor! Socket 775 for Intel, and socket 939 for AMD. If you do take this into consideration, note that AMD is coming out with a new line of CPU's in the second quarter. I highly reccomend an upgrade, seeing as how I also have a socket 478 intel... that is why I am switching to AMD as soon as AM2 debutes.

What is the speed of your CPU? I'm running a 2.66 and it's doing just fine for me right now (except for gaming that is:rolleyes: ).

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
what are you planning to do with your computer anyways? gaming? video editing? internet surfing? And if you want to go with a new motherboard and cpu then you must have a budget, i mean its not gonna cost like 20 bucks.

TheChef

andy5667 said:
Some people say that LGA775 is faster.

The benefit doesn't come so much from the specific socket being faster, but from the better technology in a newer socket and more upgradability options and faster CPUs available for a newer socket.