Soldier Needs Some Advice for New Laptop

Downtown Brown

Hi im a soldier currently serving in iraq and new to the forums.

i used to really be into computers back in high school but with my current career choice i have lost touch with the recent comings and goings of the computer world and sadly my laptop can not play the games i would like to.

I need a new laptop, price is of no importance however i dont want to waste money. this will be for strictly gaming, so i am not worried about a blu-ray drive and such. I am a soldier and we tend to move around a lot and sometimes being careful with your bag is not an option so i also need something that isnt made of glass.

i was looking at the new alienware m17 but then i was told Dell bought out alienware so now i dont know where i stand. i also looked at the toshiba qosmio but it is a little flashy for me.

any help you guys could give would be greatly appreciated.

tremmor

i did see this. http://www.alienware.com/products/m...T=alienware m17&dgc=ST&cid=42318&lid=1082862#

ya might want to look at special offers also. the 800 number is posted there. there might be some discounts available for soldiers or government
the other number is 1800alienware

be careful if ya need portability in the field. some of these laptops are heavy.
17 " is big and bulk. you will need a suitcase to haul the laptop and acessories around. For portability and small the Asus Eeee is compact and would be suitable for some games. im not a gamer or know. you could always post the type of games your interested in. somebody will tell yout the minimum needed.
good luck.

ScOuT

VIP Member
I would look into some sager notebooks http://www.sagernotebook.com/default.php

yup...that's where I would go.

Sager NP5797
17" Screen (1680x1050)
45nm Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q9000
Vista Home Premium 64bit
Nvidia GeForce GTX 280M
4GB Dual Channel DDR3
320GB 7200rpm SATA Hard drive

Total: $2064:good:

They will ship to APO with no issues. I bought a Sager in Jan 07 before my last trip to Afghanistan, never had one issue with it what so ever. 6 Soldiers from my platoon ordered Sager notebooks while in Afghanistan, all of them arrived in perfect condition. Great computers from a great company. I can almost guarantee you be more than happy with it. ;)

Watch your a$$ over there:p

Downtown Brown

I was thinking maybe falcon nw, they seem to make a high quality product and my sergeant told me they even send the laptop with its own hardcase. can anyone confirm this?

bomberboysk

I was thinking maybe falcon nw, they seem to make a high quality product and my sergeant told me they even send the laptop with its own hardcase. can anyone confirm this?

The fragbook comes with a free falcon northwest backpack, i would also highly recommend one of those pelican cases, excellent hard case;)

gamerman4

I can't confirm it but regardless, you will definitely be paying a premium for a Falcon laptop, they are very expensive. I looked at their website and couldn't find any info on carry cases so I'm not sure. You best bet would be to order a Pelican case with whatever laptop you choose. I will try looking around to see if Falcon does stock hard cases though.

Lax

VIP Member
If you're really into gaming finding a notebook tough enough to withstand the punishment of moving around a lot (as is the case in Iraq I would assume) will be difficult. Thew best so far seem to be the Sagers (which I have no experience with) or a regular notebook with a hardshell case (like the pelican). However the Panisonic Toughbooks like mentioned are extremely hard to break, apart from opening it up and smashing it. I also thought the T30 can be shot with small arms fire and still work (I am not certain on this though, just things I have heard not seen). However everything else spoken about the Toughbook is most definitely true, when working on one we did some of the basic things shown about them (dropping, standing, jumping, throwing) and after each "test" it still came out right as rain. For ultimate survivability though I would go with the Toughbook, for gaming + some resistance any old gaming laptop would work (like many of the ones mentioned) so long as you have it off and in a tough case when moving around.