Solid state drives.

Was going to buy first computer in a while. When they say SSD are more reliable what do they mean? I am not concerned with typical HDD noises and I have heard SSD are harder to recover data from if they fail. Is SSD still too young a technology? Should it be a real consideration at this point?

beers

Staff member
They don't have any moving parts so they're generally more reliable, especially in a laptop environment where it's common to drop them or similar which damages a lot of drives.

I wouldn't suggest mechanical for anything other than bulk media storage at this point.

strollin

I've been putting SSDs in all my computers for at least the past 6-7 years now and I have only had 1 failure. One of the drives I purchased recently worked for about a minute and then died. Other than that all the SSDs I've installed have worked flawlessly.

Aside from no moving parts, they are substantially faster so tend to make the computer's performance snappier. They use less power which also means less heat. Not only are they quiet, but there is no mechanical vibration either.

About the only negative to an SSD is the price since they are more expensive than a mechanical but the price continues to come down. I personally feel they are very cost competitive at this time.

OmniDyne

SSDs definitely aren't a young technology. They've been available to main stream consumers for 10 to 15 years at this point. SSDs have been a thing in the enterprise space since the 80's, if not earlier.

Flash drives are pretty much SSDs, but far less reliable, and I've got flash drives from 15 years ago that still function. SSDs have almost replaced flash drives for us, actually. We carry around portable USB SSDs.

As stated, SSDs by nature are more reliable than hard disks.

We only install SSDs at this point in my work environment. Our new servers utilize SSDs only. SSDs aren't just a consideration, they're critical.

Last edited:
I've been putting SSDs in all my computers for at least the past 6-7 years now and I have only had 1 failure. One of the drives I purchased recently worked for about a minute and then died. Other than that all the SSDs I've installed have worked flawlessly.

Aside from no moving parts, they are substantially faster so tend to make the computer's performance snappier. They use less power which also means less heat. Not only are they quiet, but there is no mechanical vibration either.

About the only negative to an SSD is the price since they are more expensive than a mechanical but the price continues to come down. I personally feel they are very cost competitive at this time.
I have never had a HDD fail me so I haven't been particularly concerned. I do backup often in any event and I am talking a stationary PC here.

How long till hard drive recovery ability will be identical between the two? And say for 1TB of storage what is the price difference?

StrangleHold

Staff member
I only use mechanical drives for storage anymore. Thats not to say that I still do have a few mechanical drive computers around.

Trizoy

VIP Member
I recently upgraded a home server to SSD's and opted to buy 2 drives and mirror the contents for harddrives failure(Raid). 500gb hd for $60 each? Sure.