Solve my driver problem.

claptonman

I have this card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161337

And I'm trying to install these drivers:

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/CatalystAGPHotfix.aspx

But every time I try to install these, I get a blue screen right after the windows logo. Here's the bluescreen log:

Code:
==================================================
Dump File         : 072611-14921-01.dmp
Crash Time        : 7/26/2011 6:20:31 PM
Bug Check String  : SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Bug Check Code    : 0x0000003b
Parameter 1       : 00000000`c0000005
Parameter 2       : fffff880`06f288ae
Parameter 3       : fffff880`06177b50
Parameter 4       : 00000000`00000000
Caused By Driver  : atikmdag.sys
Caused By Address : atikmdag.sys+8a28ae
File Description  : 
Product Name      : 
Company           : 
File Version      : 
Processor         : x64
Crash Address     : ntoskrnl.exe+7fd00
Stack Address 1   : 
Stack Address 2   : 
Stack Address 3   : 
Computer Name     : 
Full Path         : C:\Windows\Minidump\072611-14921-01.dmp
Processors Count  : 2
Major Version     : 15
Minor Version     : 7601
Dump File Size    : 274,040
==================================================

Right now I'm using modded 9.11 drivers, which are the only ones that work. If you can solve this problem, it would be amazing. I think this is what is causing the occasional blue screen I get when playing games. I am using windows 7 64 bit. I'm sure I tried to install the win 7 64-bit drivers. I'm going to email AMD, but I doubt they can fix it either. Good luck!

Troncoso

VIP Member
try disabling auto driver install. Then download and install driver sweeper. Uninstall the video driver, reboot into safe mode, then run driver sweeper to get rid of all left over ati and amd files. Then restart normally and try installing them then....if that doesn't work, try running a hardware diagnostic to see if your card might be going bad.

Also consider after uninstalling the drivers, and after running driver sweeper, turn off the PC and re-seat the GPU....That's really all the advice I can. Haha.

old_school

They still make AGP video cards? Anyway, check your BIOUS settings. BIOUS really like to screw with new cards alot. Might try pulling the CMOS as well. That works alot for me just pulling the CMOS.

claptonman

I got this for my old system when the graphics card died, and then I upgraded my CPU and MoBo so I just kept this card. Still plays a lot of games on medium detail.

Anyways, the card works with the older drivers, so I don't think it's a BIOS issue, since it works with the old drivers. I just want the new ones because it BSODs sometimes when playing games.

old_school

Its likely the new drivers are for more modern boards and yours is not in that list likely. Hence the driver issues. Pc saying is if it an't broke don't fix it. Unless its Mac, then you just take it back for a refund lol

claptonman

Update:

I emailed AMD and they responded, saying I need to get the drivers off the HIS website because "AMD only offers a Hotfix for AGP cards and since you have an HIS based video card it is recommended to download the latest drivers from HIS as these cards uses proprietary drivers."

But before I do that, they just released 11.7 so I'm gonna try that first and see if there's any change. Hopefully this fixes it.

claptonman

And the 11.7 did not work, but the drivers on the HIS website did. Hope they don't produce any blue screens. And wow, tech support actually helping.