(SOLVED)Need urgent help. New build sparked and won't turn on.

RoDDerz

**UPDATE. Now fixed, the CPU power connector was in the wrong way round**

Hi all something's gone really wrong with my recent PC upgrade...

(I just installed a new motherboard, CPU and graphics card. I went to turn it on and it seemed to power up normally (with the exception of the rear case fan) but there was no signal on the monitor and I heard a brief spark noise. I turned the rear switch off and back on and tried to boot again and now nothing happens at all apart from a brief orange glow in one of part of the motherboard...

Any ideas what could have happened here...? The only thing I wasn't 100% sure on was the CPU power. The motherboard has an 8-pin power connection and I read online a split 2 X 4 pin can be plugged in so that seemed like the correct thing to do. Have I fried something by plugging in both instead of one of the 4 pins?)

Last edited:

Agent Smith

How anyone can do something like that is beyond me. I just built my fist rig in my Sig and never messed it up like that. Never really read the manual either. I did look at it for the Gigabyte connector for the headers though.

I have to laugh at the people who leave a stand off in their puter or don't use stand offs and ground the whole board. LMAO! :D It's as if they seen the standoffs in the MOBO box and tossed them thinking, " I don't need these."