Some problems with re-installing an OS

Ma-dazz

I'm on a dual-boot PC with Windows XP and Ubuntu 14.04.
I've been trying to re-install (NOT format and NOT clean install, but repair install) Windows XP after a hardware change, because no boot option works for it. Unexpected problems are constantly appearing, though.

1 (Solved). When the CD goes to the "Setup is starting Windows" message, it gives me a BSOD and reboots. I fixed that by turning the HDD to IDE mode instead of AHCI though. Now the CD boots as intended.

2. The steps I take when trying to re-install Windows are different than those mentioned in all instructions on the internet.
a) The panel with the options to continue with the install (by pressing Enter), get into the recovery console (by pressing R), and quit the install (by pressing F3) doesn't appear.
b) There is no panel with the license agreement either.
c) As such, after the prepwork the CD does, I am taken straight into installation options.
d) There is no existing Windows XP version recognized, and thus there is no repair option for an existing installation, only a clean install. I tried 2 different CDs, one of them being 100% the same version as the installed OS.
As such, I didn't proceed with the install.

3. (Solved, but worth noting). After I tried rebooting back to Ubuntu, GRUB broke and the PC guided me only to the broken existing installation on WinXP. What the heck, this shouldn't even be possible.

Last edited: