Some stupid noob questions

8008135

New Member
I'm looking at a PC for gaming it's about $1050 AUD

Here's the set up:
Intel Core2Quad Q9400 2.6GHz
Gigabyte EP45-UD3LR motherboard
Kingston 4GB PC6400 800MHz DDR2 RAM
Seagate 1TB SATA 7200RPM HardDisk
LG SATA DVD Writer Dual Layer
Gigabyte 1GB NVIDIA 9500Gt PCIE Graphic
3D Integrated Sound Card
Internal Flash Card Reader all in one
ATX Med. Tower Case with Power supply
3x Front USB Ports & 4x Rear USB Ports
Integrated 10/100/1000 network Card

Now I have a few questions.

1. What is the difference between a 500mb graphics card and a 1GIG graphics card?

2. Can I upgrade this computer for more GIGs then 4 (I assume more RAM increases gaming performance/FPS without lagging).

3. Is there a benefit to increasing to more then 4 GIG's or is it pointless(say 6 or 8GIGs) and is it possible on this set up with windows 7 or should I get another windows that'll benefit from more then 4GIGs.

4. Can I upgrade this graphics card on this motherboard to a nVidia GT250.

5. I have an option to choose between a Intel Core2Duo E8500 3.00GHz and a
Intel Core2Quad Q9400 2.6GHz. Which one would you pick for gaming and why.

The reason I ask is because there are a few games coming out and that are already out such as Crysis and Alan Wake that I don't want to look laggy on high resolution, shader and lots of anti-aliasing.

Last question, do you think this set up will run well for new games on highest settings.

Sorry for my nonsensical and difficult to understand questions

Thanks :)
 
CPU + Mobo + RAM - LGA 775 & DDR2 RAM is last generation.
Get AMD Athlon II/ Phenom II + AMD 770/ 785G with DDR3 RAM or core i3 + H55 with DDR3 RAM for your budget

RAM - 4 GB would usually be enough

Video - 1GB GDDR RAM is better than 512. However, 9500GT is a low end card anyway.
Try ATI 4850/ 4770/ 5750 or GTS 250. They should be with similar price.

PSU - make sure you got a quality 500W
 
Now I have a few questions.

1. What is the difference between a 500mb graphics card and a 1GIG graphics card?

Depends on the monitor, if you have a small monitor 512mb will be fine but if you have a large monitor with a higher resolution you'll want that 1GB



2. Can I upgrade this computer for more GIGs then 4 (I assume more RAM increases gaming performance/FPS without lagging).

The main things that will affect your FPS is your CPU and GPU. RAM can help if you don't have much but 4GB is plenty

3. Is there a benefit to increasing to more then 4 GIG's or is it pointless(say 6 or 8GIGs) and is it possible on this set up with windows 7 or should I get another windows that'll benefit from more then 4GIGs.

Only reason you would need more than 4GB of ram is if you're doing things like heavy video editing or other things that use up your memory 4gb will be enough for gaming

4. Can I upgrade this graphics card on this motherboard to a nVidia GT250.

Yes, the 9500GT is a PCIe card and so is the GTS250, just make sure your PSU can handle it.

5. I have an option to choose between a Intel Core2Duo E8500 3.00GHz and a
Intel Core2Quad Q9400 2.6GHz. Which one would you pick for gaming and why.
I'd go with the quad core because games are starting to utilize all the cores now :) - but get something better than that for the price

The reason I ask is because there are a few games coming out and that are already out such as Crysis and Alan Wake that I don't want to look laggy on high resolution, shader and lots of anti-aliasing.

Last question, do you think this set up will run well for new games on highest settings.

No, the 9500gt is a pretty weak card


I'd reccommend going with the new AM3 or LGA1156 CPU/Motherboards
 
Last edited:
Is the nVidia GT250 1 GIG a weak card?

There are 2 of them for sale and they're the same thing, but one is more pricey then the other? Anyone know what's up with that?

http://www.jw.com.au/product_info.p...d=742&osCsid=58d6fb4fe44da527acc71a2af3833c91

http://www.jw.com.au/product_info.p...d=744&osCsid=58d6fb4fe44da527acc71a2af3833c91

How would I be able to tell what is a weak video card and what is not so I don't have to bother you guys lol.

One easier way is read reviews.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-graphics-card,2544.html
 
Back
Top