Someone help with pictures of the stars plz :)

xarik

Hey guys, I have a canon t3i and I've been wondering about shooting images of stars for a while. I have equipment to allow hour long exposures if needed but I actually had issues with the images over 40 seconds of exposure (didn't get anything with less than 40 but a black image for some reason)...I know the lens I was using is incorrect but I figured I'd give it a shot cuz it might work :p I used a Canon 50mm 1.8 lens with the t3i on bulb and I forget the rest of the settings I used.

Here's the best image I got, any ideas on what I can do to fix this or what I should use to get a good image? I have the kit 75-250 lens (75-200? idk) from canon but idk what settings or anything to use to get a good clear image

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=dmp3r5&s=5

honestly I was proud of myself for this good of an image with such a cheap set up :p But I've seen images from someone I know doesn't have L lenses or anything and they still were able to get purples in the sky with all the stars and a background (forest) in the image and it was crystal clear! Any suggestions is helpful

Punk

Staff member
Hey guys, I have a canon t3i and I've been wondering about shooting images of stars for a while. I have equipment to allow hour long exposures if needed but I actually had issues with the images over 40 seconds of exposure (didn't get anything with less than 40 but a black image for some reason)...I know the lens I was using is incorrect but I figured I'd give it a shot cuz it might work :p I used a Canon 50mm 1.8 lens with the t3i on bulb and I forget the rest of the settings I used.

Here's the best image I got, any ideas on what I can do to fix this or what I should use to get a good image? I have the kit 75-250 lens (75-200? idk) from canon but idk what settings or anything to use to get a good clear image

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=dmp3r5&s=5

honestly I was proud of myself for this good of an image with such a cheap set up :p But I've seen images from someone I know doesn't have L lenses or anything and they still were able to get purples in the sky with all the stars and a background (forest) in the image and it was crystal clear! Any suggestions is helpful

You're completely out of focus, you'll have to take multiple shots in order to get it right. As for the color, that's the white balance. You are either close to a city (in which case get far from it) or your white balance isn't properly set up. You can then change it when editing your RAW file (admitting you shoot in RAW).

xarik

ok, I don't remember a white balance setting in the setting I used which prioritizes shutter speed so I'll look again and try again :) So are you telling me that this lens can do what I want it to do if I'm far away from the city? I was in town actually but I could clearly see the stars myself so I felt like I was in a dark enough spot, I can get further out later this year and get some good ones then! Leme know what you think

xarik

also what will the RAW image allow of a large image? I can shoot RAW large no problem but I'm just wondering what the difference is :p

G80FTW

Im not sure what happened with your image, but I have a Canon S110 with a fixed lens and here is the only picture I have taken of the stars using a 15 second shutter speed:

Is this what you are trying to achieve? Or are you trying to get a brighter image?

And RAW pretty much allows you to edit all the colors, light, exposure, and clarity of the image in much better quality. Its pretty amazing. This image I took was not RAW however, had I shot it in RAW i probably could have made it look alot better.

I would think your camera should pick up the stars with shorter than a 40 second shutter speed. If my PS can, then I dont see why a DSLR wouldnt be able to. And my ISO locks at 80 above 1 second shutter speed.

Last edited:

Punk

Staff member
You have to realize that the wonderful shots you see of stars and galaxies are more than an hour long exposure. That requires lots of expansive equipment. Here is what I was able to achieve with a D40 and basic lens (18-55mm)

http://www.panoramio.com/user/12458/tags/Stars

I think I have more in my pictures but didn't add the tags.

The difference with RAW is that you can edit every properties of your photo after you've taken it (on your computer). White balance, exposure, Temperature, Saturation. That will allow to correct (maybe) the red color on your pic. It was definetly caused by the city though.

If you have any questions don't hesitate!

Aastii

VIP Member
Bumping this for a couple of questions for how to actually achieve something decent.

In perfect conditions, so clear skies with near enough 0 light pollution, what are the ideal settings to look for on the camera?

As to actually taking the shot, is it anything more than setting up the camera and letting take a long exposure shit, leaving it to do its thing?

Punk

Staff member
Bumping this for a couple of questions for how to actually achieve something decent.

In perfect conditions, so clear skies with near enough 0 light pollution, what are the ideal settings to look for on the camera?

As to actually taking the shot, is it anything more than setting up the camera and letting take a long exposure shit, leaving it to do its thing?

It all depends on what you want to achieve.

Do you want telescope-like photos or wide angle like most of my pics? I usually use a remote control, set it to "Bulb". I usually set it up to F11 and ISO100. My new photos are mostly 2mins to 15mins exposure (you will see the movement of the Earth). Please note that I'm not a professional on this, I just tried a few settings.