Something is very wrong

briscoe

Hi all,

I just built my first system in a long time but am having some issues that I cannot pinpoint and am hoping someone can help.

My problem:
My computer will reboot by its self at random times, if I had to say it was happening when something was happening then it has done it a lot when I would move my mouse to turn off the screen saver which made me think it could be a graphics issue?

But it is doing it now even with the screen saver disabled.

I ran Prime95 and my temperature went from an idle 38c to 78c in a matter of less than 2-3 minutes. I had to stop it because I'm not sure how hot was too hot.

My setup:
Intel Core i7 2600k at stock speed
Stock heat sink
Intel graphics HD3000 (on the CPU)
16GB RAM
Asrock Extreme 3 Gen 3
Cooler Master 700w power supply
Crucial 64GB SSD hard drive
7200RPM 320GB second hard drive

Thanks for any help in tracking down this problem.

87dtna

Did you do a fresh install of the OS with this new build? All drivers installed properly?

What are your ram settings? Speed, timings, and voltage.

When you say reboot, do you ever get the blue screen or does it freeze at all first? Or just bang like to hit the restart button?

2048Megabytes

It sounds like you may need to re-mount your heatsink on your processor. I would try cleaning off the old thermal paste and applying new paste.

briscoe

Thanks for the help so far!

I did a fresh install of Windows 7 64bit when I put the system together.

Using a 100% legal version of Windows 7

I ordered some paste from Amazon and will see if that works, please hope it does.

Last night I took the RAM sticks out and put them back in a different order, you never know ... also unplugged and reconnected all cables that go to the board, CPU fan, drives, etc.

Here are some screen-shots regarding the CPU and RAM voltages.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:

87dtna

It doesn't look like there's a problem with heat.

Do you have all the power saving features on in the bios? Cstate, C1E, speedstep, etc etc?

Also, you didn't answer this-

When you say reboot, do you ever get the blue screen or does it freeze at all first? Or just bang like to hit the restart button?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you check the event viewer, it might give you some information on why the system is rebooting.

briscoe

It doesn't look like there's a problem with heat.

Do you have all the power saving features on in the bios? Cstate, C1E, speedstep, etc etc?

Also, you didn't answer this-

I have all of the power saving features turned on yes because to be honest I don't know enough about what they are to disable them.

When it reboots there is no blue screens, no freezing, nothing like that... the screen just turns blank and you see the standard boot-up process. It's as if you unplugged it from the wall and simply plugged it back in and turned it back on.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Why does in CPU-Z does it say that your core speed is 1.5GhZ? Yet in AXTU it says 3.7Ghz?

Because like AMD's Cool n Quiet software, Intel's Speedstep software will do the same thing. If he were to do anything cpu intensive, you would see the full speed listed in cpuz.

CrazyMike

Because like AMD's Cool n Quiet software, Intel's Speedstep software will do the same thing. If he were to do anything cpu intensive, you would see the full speed listed in cpuz.

My God, my idiot light bulb just kicked in and i realized that my question was retarded. Thank you for not laughing

:D I am just so used to using CPU-Z while running prime, seeing the full process speed up. :eek: Bit embarrassed now...

briscoe

I think I may have fixed it. I went into the Bios and disabled something called "Over Temperature Protection". I was a little nervous about turning it off but it's been a few days now and everything has been rock solid, I just hope that fixed it.

87dtna

Bios will only show you idle temps, in which case should not be over 40c...and his isn't he posted already it idles mid 30's.

Run Prime95 stress test and watch temperature. But with mid 30's idle I doubt there's anything wrong there.