Something Made My Battery Pop Off The Underside Of My Dell Inspiron 7466

aforwood

I have my laptop sitting out of the way where I don't normally see it and have an external keyboard, mouse, and screen attached to use it. I just noticed this problem recently and took a closer look, and see some sort of flat square object under one side of the battery that keeps it from sitting in it's casing properly, with the underside of the laptop forced partially open. The battery is bent out in the middle because of it. I haven't got the tools to remove the battery to see whatever it is under there but I think someone has tampered with the laptop and inserted some kind of device to spy on me. I wonder if anyone has any idea what this is.

Here's some images to show you what it looks like with the bottom cover taken off (sorry about the dust and dirt on it's topside).

P1620015.JPGP1620018.JPGP1620021.JPG

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Your battery is defective. I would replace it because you risk a fire if it expands any further and explodes.

W.D._Person

I agree so much with the safety issue that even though I am a new member in this community, I wish to see a post that confirms you had that unit looked at by a professional and had that battery removed/replaced.

I see it has been just over two weeks since you posted, so is there any chance you heeded the advice above.

And on another aspect of this topic, I have never seen a battery with that sort of problem. I've been using all sorts of computers for many years and that's the first time I can remember seeing that. I might be forgetting, though. Age trouble with the brain.

What exactly causes that sort of oddity? Chemical expansion in the battery? I don't even recall ever seeing that happening on the NiCad batteries we had on our choppers so many years ago. (Is that "NiCad spelled correctly?)

Anyway, I sure would like to see a confirmation you handled that issue and you and your computer/work station are safe!

*** Strange first post, isn't it?