Something wrong? :O

pyro

New Member
Not sure what's up, but I've been trying to fix my girlfriend's sister's computer for the last few days.
It wouldn't install Windows 7. Halfway through the install it would restart and say "Windows has restarted unexpectedly press ok to restart install" or something. So I took the hard drive out and put it in my computer, install went just fine. So I now know there is nothing wrong with the RAM, HD, optical drive, or card reader. But the install was fine, perfectly fine. When I put the hard drive back into the other computer, it starts booting. And when it gets to the "Windows" screen (on windows 7 the 4 little balls come up and form the window logo) it freezes as the red and blue one appear. Same spot, everytime.
My only other suspects are MoBo, CPU and PSU. Tomorrow I'm going to try switching the motherboard and see if that clears up the problem, other then that, anyone know exactly what is causing this? And why it does it?
And no, I get no errors now, it just restarts.
 
It freezes up because you installed windows 7 while it was in your system and then transferred back into the original computer, you can't do that. You need to install windows while the drive is in the computer its gonna be used in.
 
Not quite.
I just re-built my computer and took both hard drives from my other computer and put it in here and they had Windows installed on both already. I've never had a problem with switching the hard drive's and having to do a fresh install on that certain computer, that is not the problem.
Not only that, but they're on a different motherboard now too.
 
you might try a different optical drive and cable too before you tear the computer all the way down. i had a similar issue with my brand new board. different drive better results. after than you can try boards of memory.

btw i have had the different board issue with vista and 7 when i change the drive from one computer to another. xp will also throw a fit and make you re activate.
 
Last edited:
I've never had that problem. One of these drives has Vista and the other 7, and when I put them into my new case with my other motherboard, I reset CMOS and it booted with absolutely no issue, as I've always done.

However, I've tried the optical drive. I put my drive from this computer into the other one, and used a different cable cause my optical is IDE and the other is SATA.
 
Back
Top