someting wrong with memory

The Egyptian

hi
4 gb ram and windows say 2.5 gb usable
i've something wrong and i need explain

unledso.jpg

Iceyn1pples

Your signature states that you have a dedicated GPU. Maybe your bios is still setting aside RAM for the integrated GPU.

Also, you're running 32bit Windows - which can only effective use about 3.2gb of your 4gb anyways.

But still, 700mb for video is a bit odd. What else can you tell us about your configuration?

EDIT: your motherboard does not have integrated Video. However, a quick google search reveals that your motherboard can only support single sided RAM if you have all RAM slots used. IF you have 2 sticks of RAM at the moment and you're getting that, your RAM modules should only populate DIMMS 1+3, 1+4, 2+3, or 2+4. Only those configurations will allow for all RAM to be usable.

Last edited:

The Egyptian

IF you have 2 sticks of RAM at the moment and you're getting that, your RAM modules should only populate DIMMS 1+3, 1+4, 2+3, or 2+4. Only those configurations will allow for all RAM to be usable.
yes i have 2 sticks
i tried windows x64 in the same position and it shows 4gb
nothing usable
so what's wrong with windows x32 ?
unledux.jpg

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
32-bit Windows sees ram differently on every computer. I can't explain it, but that's just what I've seen with all the computers I've worked on.

Iceyn1pples

32-bit Windows sees ram differently on every computer. I can't explain it, but that's just what I've seen with all the computers I've worked on.

32BIT OS (by default) can only use 3.2GB of RAM in Vista. If you see less, thats usually integrated graphics. With Service Pack 2 on Vista, you can "see" 4GB, but cant use it all. Windows 7 will see the all the RAM without service pack, but can only use 4GB if its 32Bit. 64BIT supports up 128GB + Also, different versions of Windows 7 can support different amounts i.e Starter can only use 2gb.

Architectural component 64-bit Windows 32-bit Windows
Virtual memory 16 terabytes 4 GB
Paging file size 256 terabytes 16 terabytes
Hyperspace 8 GB 4 MB
Paged pool 128 GB 470 MB
Non-paged pool 128 GB 256 MB
System cache 1 terabyte 1 GB
System PTEs 128 GB 660 MB

Have you tried the configurations I posted earlier? Apparently this is an issue related to your motherboard.

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
32BIT OS (by default) can only use 3.2GB of RAM in Vista. If you see less, thats usually integrated graphics. With Service Pack 2 on Vista, you can "see" 4GB, but cant use it all. Windows 7 will see the all the RAM without service pack, but can only use 4GB if its 32Bit. 64BIT supports up 128GB + Also, different versions of Windows 7 can support different amounts i.e Starter can only use 2gb.

Yes but I'm just saying I see systems that CAN sometimes use all 4GB, even on a 32-bit OS.

StrangleHold

Staff member
XP/Vista and 7 32bit can all see up to 4gb. It reserves some for hardware memory addresses from the upper end. So depending on you hardware it will vary between 3 and 4 usable to the OS. Even more then that if you running a CF/SLI set up with alot of video memory on the cards.

He has a GA-EP31 DS3L so there is no onboard video memory.

Probable memory remapping setting in the bios.

Last edited: