somewhere to test the speed of my connection?

Rip_Uk

does anyone know of a site where i can check the speed of my connection?
i have 4mb cable but it feels more like 1mb.

Xycron

banned
You wont really be able too tell the difference between 1 and 4 unless your downloading on a high speed server or sometimes playing games.

Rip_Uk

oh i see, also.. does it have anything to do with the max networking controller speed which my modem is connected to?

I have NVIDIA NForce networking controller and when i go to properties it says max speed 100.0Mbps.

Would it make a difference if i connected the cable modem through USB?

Antiodontalgic

Go to www.pcpitstop.com and run the bandwidth test..
That should be closer to your bandwidth.

Now keep in mind 4mb cable will not always run that speed because the connection is shared throughout the town, or where ever you live.

Rip_Uk

i was told that this connection would be only for me not shared with the rest of the street.

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
lee101 said:
:eek: that sounds like you're being ripped off, try contacting your ISP about it, they should be the best people for an explanation
I just tried that speedtest, and it says im on double dial up, when infact, im on 10mb broadband. And trust me when i say its wrong because i was just downloading off of the ntl newsgroups at 1.2 MegaBYTES a second ;)

DCIScouts

VIP Member
Rip_Uk said:
when i tested here http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp it showed my 4mbps connection was less than 1mbps lol. 108k downstream 33 upstream

One thing that you have to keep in mind with these test servers is their location. Obviously if you are fairly far away (like overseas) it will impact your connection speeds than if the server is only a city or two away... I use a connection logger in my state to check, and it can also depend on the other traffic to the server at the time. (Don't forget to shut down those downloaders and *ahem* trojans, too ;))

Xycron

banned
For your USB question, Ethernet is uslly more stable and i would recoomend it, but it doesn't matter, as a 100mbps card will be fine seeing as your internet is slower, what slows things down is the page rengering time.