Sony All in 1 SVL23147CXB Bios see HDD but Window install dont

truwrxtacy

Hi guys I got a Sony Vaios all in one computer, i was having some issue with it so i installed windows 10 on it, but i dont think its compatible as it keeps glitching out, so i went and try to reinstall windows 8.1 back onto it but now it does not recognize any HDD when i'm trying to install it. I check the Bios and its showing 2000GB HDD so the Bios see the HD but when it try to install win8.1 it shows no HDD on the installation menu. can someone please help me

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What do you mean by glitching out? Anything that originally had windows 8 on it, should run 10 as well.

truwrxtacy

well one day it just stopped booting, so i made a windows 10 from media creation tool on another PC, then put it into a USB, put it into the broken computer, wiped the drive and installed Win10. After that it seemed to be working fine, but then after it took a windows update, it went all crazy. If the computer idles, and i move the mouse, nothing would work minus the mouse. At first i thought maybe i messed something up, so i reinstall windows10 AGAIN, wiped the drive and did it again, same issue. So I figured maybe the computer dont like windows 10, so i try to load windows 8, made the USB drive but this time when i try to install it, the HDD isn't showing up anymore when i'm trying to install windows. I did Listdisk and its not there anymore, I went into the BIOs and its showing 2000GB HDD so now i'm lost

this is the spec on the computer https://docs.sony.com/release//specs/SVL24147CXB_mksp.pdf

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The hard drive may be failing. You would have to test the drive for errors. Do you know what brand the hard drive is?

truwrxtacy

not a darn clue, i tried to look up as much info as i possible can from the model number which is SVL23147CXB. but all the info i got was the pdf i posted and nothing more, its also a all in 1 touch screen computer so its not like i can pop a few screws and look at the HD physically

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The bios should give you a model number of the drive, with that we can tell what brand it is.

truwrxtacy

under main
BIOS Version R0230T9
ME Version 8.1.0.1248
Machine SVL24147CXB
System Memory 8192 MB
Hard Disk Drive 2000GB

but it does not have an option to change to ACHI which from my research shows i should do that.

It only offers

- advanced
= IntelR Virtualization technology disabled

- security
= machine password clear
= user password clear
= set machine password press enter
= set user password press enter
= secure boot enabled
= secure boot mode standard

- Boot
=Boot mode UEFI
= External Device boot disabled
= network boot disabled

- boot priority
internal hdd
external device
internal optical disc drive
network

and exit thats all

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
It may be that all newer machines should be running ahci by default anyway. Look under integrated peripherals or something similar for the ahci setting. If the computer can see the hdd but not windows install, then I can only assume that its been either formatted as GPT and sometimes the windows installer won't see the GPT partition. If you use a live boot cd with partitioning software you can reformat as MBR and windows installer will see it.

truwrxtacy

I believe youre right, when i installed windows 10 it did say something about GPT. I do not have a live boot CD with partitioning software, all i have is the USB with the windows media installer on it. What can i do to fix this?

also since its a 2TB HDD, can it be formatted as a MBR? so does it have to stay GPT?

Last edited:

truwrxtacy

it does not see the HDD for me to convert it is the problem. When i'm in CMD, i do diskpart and list disk, shows nothing except for my 64GB usb thumb drive with the windows media creation tool on it

Last edited:

truwrxtacy

thank you, but is there a cheaper alternative? its asking for $60 for the program, the trial does not allow me to make the disc

truwrxtacy

so after like 4 hours of formatting, it says the disc was too big and failed on step 1 of hiren step to booting a usb, my usb stick is 64GB. Just found a 16gb stick to try now

Last edited:

truwrxtacy

so i think i did something wrong in the process. I went to Hiren's website, downloaded the format thing, formatted the USB to Fat32, after that i used the Grub4Dos like it said, chose the disc, selected whole disc MBR, then hit start, it said okay. After that i put the ISO file into the drive and the menu list and the GRLDR into it. Then i ejected the usb put into computer and try to boot from it, says operating system not found.

I even found a youtube video on how to do it to make sure i was doing it correctly, still operating system not found.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I can't help you there. I always use bootable cd's. Although, if you can remove the drive and put it in another system, you can download windows programs to wipe the drive and format it as mbr.

truwrxtacy

Tried that also, getting same error with no operating system found, and i cant install a operating system when the computer cant see the HDD lol