Sony laptop - how to replace internal battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Da Mail Man

Greetings all,

I have (actually my brother in another State) a SONY VIAO PCG-9J5L LAPTOP COMPUTER that has a dead internal (large battery, not small bios/cmos battery).....Apparently, he must have believed that the battery has "eternal life" and as such, never kept power supply plugged in to keep battery from "croaking", which it did.

I cannot find where/how this is installed or the dis-assembly procedures for same to install the replacement battery.....Sony was no "%&$%#&" help at all and I can't find anything on the net anywhere.

Does anyone have any suggestions (links) to how to remove old and install new battery? (Edit- removed picts as being useless in topic).

Last edited:

Darren

Staff member
Type into Google. "SONY VAIO PCG-9J5L" and the word "disassembly". Press enter and watch the magic happen

Is that a SCSI port?

Or you know just start unscrewing screws and take it apart.

Edit: I rescind my sarcastic remark. That thing is relatively worthless as old as it is. Take it apart, starting by unscrewing everything and pop it apart. If you break it might as well just replace it anyway. If it's got a SCSI port and it's time to go.

Edit 2: The arrow on the battery would lead me to believe it just slides into the side. Guessing you don't have the right battery and the actual battery is in the bottom left of the first picture. Or it has some kind of cover.

Last edited:

Da Mail Man

Type into Google. "SONY VAIO PCG-9J5L" and the word "disassembly". Press enter and watch the magic happen

Is that a SCSI port?

Edit: I rescind my sarcastic remark. That thing is relatively worthless as old as it is. Take it apart, starting by unscrewing everything and pop it apart. If you break it might as well just replace it anyway. If it's got a SCSI port and it's time to go.

Edit 2: The arrow on the battery would lead me to believe it just slides into the side. Guessing you don't have the right battery and the actual battery is in the bottom left of the first picture. Or it has some kind of cover.

**NOTE - CAPS AR NO YELLING BUT, ONLY SERVE TO SEPARATE RESPONSES ON CONVERSATION***

NO MAGIC...SAW A FEW SONY LAPS BUT, MOST IF NOT ALL HAD A SIMPLE COMPARTMENT TO SNAP OR UNSCREW OPEN AND NOT THE SAME COMPUTER..

Is that a SCSI port?

IT IS OUT OF STATE AND MY BROTHER HAS NO SKILLS WITH TOOLS.

Edit: I rescind my sarcastic remark.
THANKS

That thing is relatively worthless as old as it is.
MAYBE, BUT HE STILL LIKES IT AND JUST BECAUSE IT IS OLD DOES NOT MEAN IT HAS NO WORTH TO THE OWNER.

Take it apart, starting by unscrewing everything and pop it apart. If you break it might as well just replace it anyway. If it's got a SCSI port and it's time to go.
HE DOESN'T HAVE THE SKILL OR KNOWLEDGE TO TAKE IT APART PAST A FEW SCREWS.

Edit 2: The arrow on the battery would lead me to believe it just slides into the side.
ME TOO BUT, HE SEES NO REMOVABLE PANEL TO FACILITATE THIS.

Guessing you don't have the right battery
BATTERY IS CORRECT

and the actual battery is in the bottom left of the first picture. Or it has some kind of cover.
DOING THIS LONG DISTANCE IS DIFFICULT ENOUGH. I WILL HAVE HIM SEND ME A PICT OF THE SIDES AND HOPEFULLY I CAN DIGEST THIS BETTER.....I AM HARD PRESSED TO BELIEVE THAT THE ENTIRE COMPUTER HAS TO BE DISMANTLED....THANKS FOR THE REPLY!

Laquer Head

Here is the reality.. that thing is an old, nearly useless relic.. if your bro can't figure out how to take out a few screws and pop it open then one of 2 things, take it to a shop...they will laugh..

or toss it and buy something made in the last 15 years.. seriously.. not joking!

Darren

Staff member
Take it to a shop. If he's afraid to go past a few screws then he has no business trying to open it.

Da Mail Man

Here is the reality.. that thing is an old, nearly useless relic.. if your bro can't figure out how to take out a few screws and pop it open then one of 2 things, take it to a shop...they will laugh..

or toss it and buy something made in the last 15 years.. seriously.. not joking!

He is a disabled vet whom has eyesight issues service related

Fairly certain that's not the right battery...

WRONG - it s the correct battery...see my last post.

That battery doesn't even look like it's for that laptop. I wouldn't spend anything on that POS.

Guess you're done here then.

That's ye olde LPT parallel port, common in printers and some other awkward devices (like my 32 MB MP3 player of old).

The battery IS for that laptop and verified before AND after purchase.

Take it to a shop. If he's afraid to go past a few screws then he has no business trying to open it.

He is a disabled vet whom has eyesight issues service related

Finale'

I was able to find a pict on the net of the sides of the unit and found an area where the battery compartment can be opened and battery replaced. According to him last night, he was able to locate the area as previously he thought it was for something else. Thanks you for those whom provided constructive help/assistance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Laquer Head

What an annoying thread this was...

why the hell do you make a line of *** and type everything in bold.?? looks annoying ..pls refrain from this in the future.. I now have eye cancer

Da Mail Man

I hope you and your eye cancer will be happy....If me typing in bold upsets you then, you will have or have had a difficult time in life and need professional help for your non-organic situation.

Last edited:

Laquer Head

I hope you and your eye cancer will be happy....If me typing in bold upsets you than, you will have or have had a difficult time in life and need professional help for your non-organic situation.
Don't make fun of my vision impairment.. I should sue you for damages...mental stress...negligence..

Thats how you reply..BTW ^^^

Status
Not open for further replies.