Sony Vaio Notebook Memory Use Issue

Kidderman

I'm in the process of trying to improve the performance of my daughter's Vaio PCG-21313M notebook. It's had very little use in the time since it was bought new a few years ago. It turns out that my daughter stopped using it as it had become slow and unresponsive. It has an Intel Atom N740 1.83GHz processor and 1GB RAM running Windows 7 Starter.
At first, it was certainly sluggish and took ages to respond, particularly when loading pages from the internet.
Task Manager was indicating very high memory use (75% average), even when idling with no internet connection or programs running. There were 68 processes running, some of which I was able to stop without causing problems. That didn't seem to make much difference to the level of memory use.
I cloned the original hard drive (250GB 5400) to a 500GB 7200 and installed the upgrade. The new drive works fine. I then did a clean reinstall of the OS and uninstalled unnecessary programs such as Norton and Mcaffee (I have a subscription to Mcafee which I haven't yet installed on the notebook). I haven't as yet installed a web browser or attempted to connect to the internet. I've stopped as many processes as the system will allow me to, such as Vaio Care and Vaio Update. I've downloaded and installed all Windows updates. Having done all those things and leaving the system to idle, Task Manager is now indicating a physical memory use of 45%. CPU usage is around 1%. I'm aware that 1GB memory isn't a lot by today's standards, but my question is, should that level of usage be considered normal on a healthy machine running as described above? I am awaiting delivery of a 2GB memory stick, the maximum which the notebook will take. If installed successfully, should I expect the drop in usage to read something obvious like 22% or is it not as simple as that? My main concern is that when running an anti-virus program, accessing the internet or anything else, this machine won't perform to a usable level. I'd appreciate any advice or thoughts, particularly to those out there who have experience of similar issues.

DMGrier

VIP Member
So I don't know about Windows Starter but I know Windows 7 home 32 bit uses something like 500MB of memory at idle (if memory serves me right). So what you are seeing is accurate, also your expectation of 22% seems accurate with the 2GB memory install.

So you should have enough memory for a web browser, AV and a productivity suite which honestly is what those kind of computers were designed to do. The only way to increase the performance at that point from there would be to install something like Lubuntu Linux as that operating system only uses 150MB roughly at idle. Depending on your daughters needs though that may not be an option though. However, in about a year if she is still on that laptop and Windows 7 support coming to a end in the beginning of 2020 that may be a better option.

One question I have for you though, which AV are you set on installing? Which browser are you using? Some software requires less resources to run and you need to run some lite weight programs to make a better user experience on that notebook.

Kidderman

Hi DMGrier, thanks a lot for your response. Tells me that what I'm seeing is pretty much what should be expected. I'd like to think that the 2GB memory upgrade will make a difference, but I understand that heavyweight programs are likely to defeat the object of the exercise. I'm considering installing McAfee for AV. I'd like a better browser than Internet Explorer. I have Google Chrome on both of my other PC's, but their spec's are such that it runs with no issues regarding memory usage. I'd welcome any suggestions regarding more lightweight AV and browser programs which will help the notebook to run as well as it can within its limitations.

DMGrier

VIP Member
Chrome might be okay...

The only thing about Chrome I know is there is some process that runs from time to time in the background that checks programs running in the background and on the lower end CPU it can take them to their knees. Can't remember what it is called but you will see the process running in task manager and when you google the name you will see some good guides on how to stop that.

Firefox is probably the best full featured browser that plays well with low resource machines. Some that I would assume to be lite since that are based on Chromium is Opera or Vivaldi.

As for AV's I have seen a lot of guys opt for Avast on the lower end stuff as it has a game mode which, will make the AV use a little resources as possible when game mode is turned on.

Is your daughter using this just for web browsing or other things? Things like MS Word and and/or Itunes?

Kidderman

Chrome might be okay...

The only thing about Chrome I know is there is some process that runs from time to time in the background that checks programs running in the background and on the lower end CPU it can take them to their knees. Can't remember what it is called but you will see the process running in task manager and when you google the name you will see some good guides on how to stop that.

Firefox is probably the best full featured browser that plays well with low resource machines. Some that I would assume to be lite since that are based on Chromium is Opera or Vivaldi.

As for AV's I have seen a lot of guys opt for Avast on the lower end stuff as it has a game mode which, will make the AV use a little resources as possible when game mode is turned on.

Is your daughter using this just for web browsing or other things? Things like MS Word and and/or Itunes?
Hi again, DMGrier. The general usage for the notebook is likely to be simple web browsing such as Youtube and storage/playback of albums. Based on your advice, I'm going to install Firefox and Avast on the notebook in order to assess their memory usage whilst running separately and together. I'm sure the usage will climb significantly, but it should give me a rough idea as to how the netbook may perform when the 2GB memory is installed. I'll post the results. Many thanks for your help.

DMGrier

VIP Member
Awesome, excited to see how that goes.

Another thought, with Firefox you might consider installing a ad blocker. It will make Firefox a little heavier however, depending on the websites it will also block a tone of crap tracking software and popups that could bog down the machine even more. In my opinion it is a give and take scenario.

Kidderman

Awesome, excited to see how that goes.

Another thought, with Firefox you might consider installing a ad blocker. It will make Firefox a little heavier however, depending on the websites it will also block a tone of crap tracking software and popups that could bog down the machine even more. In my opinion it is a give and take scenario.
More good advice, thanks again. I'll do exactly that and post results. Will then run things after installing the increased memory and make the comparison.

DMGrier

VIP Member
Good luck sir and interested in the results.

Been there before. Have a son who several years ago I gave him a hand me down HP from 2006 and all he wanted to do was watch Youtube and play Minecraft. The Youtube piece was easy, Minecraft was another story....

Kidderman

I get that. Thankfully, my daughter's now in her early 20's and isn't really interested in gaming, so hopefully when the notebook's sorted she'll now get more from it than she did when she originally had it. Interesting how some kids-when a piece of kit doesn't work properly-will put it away and move on to something else without alerting anyone to the problem. Looking forward to (hopefully) a good result. Cheers.

Been there before. Have a son who several years ago I gave him a hand me down HP from 2006 and all he wanted to do was watch Youtube and play Minecraft. The Youtube piece was easy, Minecraft was another story....

Been there before. Have a son who several years ago I gave him a hand me down HP from 2006 and all he wanted to do was watch Youtube and play Minecraft. The Youtube piece was easy, Minecraft was another story....[/QUOTE]