Sony Vaio or Macbook Pro

sicdeath

I am interested in buying a laptop for college. I want one that will never hold me back from web browsing to running programs such as AutoCAD and Games.
I won't be gaming too much so that's not a real focus, just something to keep in mind. Right now, I am looking for something lightweight and really liked these two laptops after months of searching. The Macbook Pro was my choice until I heard about this sony vaio deal. Also, the sony vaio, if you go on the sony website, it says Hybrid graphic card. What does that mean? Please help me choose one. If you have any experience with any mentioned below, please let me know.

Apple Macbook Pro:
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/ho...W-MACBOOKPRO-INDEX&cp=BUYNOW-MACBOOKPRO-INDEX

Sony Vaio S-Series
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+...?id=pcmprd154000050000&skuId=9999154000050000

DMGrier

VIP Member
It is a real hard call for the fact you gave us a link to every Mac Book Pro on the market. We need to know which one you are looking at to compare too. I have a Sony Vaio and I love it. As far as build quality the Macbook and the Vaio are about the same but I am positive for the price the Sony Vaio is going to give you a lot more performance for the price.

The only thing we really need to know and I am sure a Mac user will be able to help us with this is will OSX run AutoCAD and as far as gaming goes what kind of games are you looking at cause the Macbook does not even get a decent graphics card till $1800.

old_school

i dont see how this was a hard call. He said gaming so yeah Mac an't happening. You cant game on a Mac without having to get more software on top of the allready huge price. Plus even with software like Virtual PC 1. whats the point 2. Games may still not work properly. 3. nothing hardly works or is compadable for Mac. Im sure theirs a few programs out their but not many. Besides windows has that buy a PC get a free Xbox deal. That just kicks ass!!!

wolfeking

banned
the GPU in this MBP will kick the butt of that Sony. There are quite a few games that will run native on OSX 10.5 + as seen here . Also, OSX is more secure from what Ive heard, but then again, you can always multiboot with a linux distro for web browsing and be 100% secure from viri and maleware.

sicdeath

It is a real hard call for the fact you gave us a link to every Mac Book Pro on the market. We need to know which one you are looking at to compare too. I have a Sony Vaio and I love it. As far as build quality the Macbook and the Vaio are about the same but I am positive for the price the Sony Vaio is going to give you a lot more performance for the price.

The only thing we really need to know and I am sure a Mac user will be able to help us with this is will OSX run AutoCAD and as far as gaming goes what kind of games are you looking at cause the Macbook does not even get a decent graphics card till $1800.

I am talking about the 13 inch first macbook for 1199.00.

DMGrier

VIP Member
the GPU in this MBP will kick the butt of that Sony. There are quite a few games that will run native on OSX 10.5 + as seen here . Also, OSX is more secure from what Ive heard, but then again, you can always multiboot with a linux distro for web browsing and be 100% secure from viri and maleware.

Lol, you actually compared a 2k+ Mac Book to a under 1k Sony Vaio in a gpu comparison.

Hell if the games run under wine with no problem which you can check in advance on wineHQ.com go Linux all the way.

sicdeath

Lets take out the gaming idea, I won't be gaming on a laptop to be honest. So now, which would take the lead. If i was to buy a macbook pro, i would install windows on it anyways to have the option of running whichever operating system i am in the mood of.

wolfeking

banned
Macbook. IMHO , if you got the money for it, windows is only for gaming. Unix (OSX) or Linux all the way for everything else. So, if you are not gaming on it at all, then I would suggest Mint 11 and OSX dual boot. No windows, too insecure.

speedyink

VIP Member
Auugh, retarded Best buy and not giving us the screen res on the Sony.

I like the sounds of the Sony, blu-ray player, hybrid hard drive, waaay better graphics card than the integrated crap in the macbook, and $200 cheaper.

That's just me though