Sound breaks up

copiman

I have an older Compaq Evo that recently started breaking up the sound. The video is fine. The sound is embedded, no card. When I watch a video, the sound will intermittently break for a second or two. Everything looks ok in device manager. This PC has XP. Cannot seem to find the driver either. Then again, I'm not sure if I'm looking for the driver I need. How do I make sure what driver I need? Also, if needed, could I install a sound card to resolve the problem? What do you think?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Whats the model number of the evo? First thing I would do is uninstall and then reinstall the driver. If you can tell me the model number then I can get you the driver. If reinstalling the driver doesn't work then getting a cheap soundcard should work.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, that would be it. Yes, uninstall the sound adi soundmax software in add/remove programs first, reboot and then reinstall.

copiman

No, the only drivers I see in Add/Remove are:

Intel(R) Network Connections Drivers

NVIDIA Windows 2000/XP Display Drivers

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Go into device manager under sound video and game controllers and tell me what it lists for sound.

copiman

This is everything in Sound, video and game controllers:

Audio Codecs
Legacy Audio Drivers
Legacy Video Capture Devices
Media Control Devices
SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
Video Codecs

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry for getting back to you so late. Sounds like the onboard sound is bad. Just buy a dedicated sound card. You can try uninstalling and reinstalling the sound driver totally.