Waterbottle
New Member
Hello,
I recently acquired a 5.1 surround sound system (Creative Inspire T6160) for my computer. Alas, the sound card integrated into my current mother board does not support surround sound (it only has one audio output - green), so I'm looking for a decent 5.1 sound card which has drivers for both Windows XP and Linux (I've been intending to make Linux my primary OS for some time, because Windows annoys me greatly). It also turns out that my current motherboard does not support sound cards, so I need a new one. I would really like it if it also supported all the current components in my computer. I currently have two DDR SDRAM chips, one AGP video card, one internal HDD connected to the mother board through SATA1, a DVD drive, a card reader and a thinghy on the front of the computer with two USB connectors. My current mother board also has a built in network interface controller and two USB connectors, which the new one also should have.
I have very little knowledge of computer hardware, and I am therefore unsure about what other information would be pertinent. Does anyone have any recommendations about what I should buy? It would be nice if the mother board also supported newer components (PCI-E, DDR3 SDRAM) so I have the option of upgrading these components at a later time. I do not have a specific budget, but I'd rather not pay too much for it.
I recently acquired a 5.1 surround sound system (Creative Inspire T6160) for my computer. Alas, the sound card integrated into my current mother board does not support surround sound (it only has one audio output - green), so I'm looking for a decent 5.1 sound card which has drivers for both Windows XP and Linux (I've been intending to make Linux my primary OS for some time, because Windows annoys me greatly). It also turns out that my current motherboard does not support sound cards, so I need a new one. I would really like it if it also supported all the current components in my computer. I currently have two DDR SDRAM chips, one AGP video card, one internal HDD connected to the mother board through SATA1, a DVD drive, a card reader and a thinghy on the front of the computer with two USB connectors. My current mother board also has a built in network interface controller and two USB connectors, which the new one also should have.
I have very little knowledge of computer hardware, and I am therefore unsure about what other information would be pertinent. Does anyone have any recommendations about what I should buy? It would be nice if the mother board also supported newer components (PCI-E, DDR3 SDRAM) so I have the option of upgrading these components at a later time. I do not have a specific budget, but I'd rather not pay too much for it.