Sound Card

dave1701

What sound card should I get? I am looking to spend under $30 and I have these speakers. I only need stereo, no fancy surround deal. RCA out would be a plus. Thanks

PS: Going back and fourth about whether to get a sound card at all. Do you think I will be able to hear a difference? Is it a waste of money?

IMG00122-20120525-1233.jpg

linkin

VIP Member
What brand are those speakers? I don't think any sound card at that budget has RCA out, but get a Xonar DG and some RCA > 1/8" (3.5mm) adapters.

dave1701

What brand are those speakers? I don't think any sound card at that budget has RCA out, but get a Xonar DG and some RCA > 1/8" (3.5mm) adapters.

a little over the budget, but something like this might work?
SIIG LP-000022-S2 SoundWave 5.1 Channel Low Profile PCI Sound Card
http://www.eio.com/p-24208-siig-lp-000022-s2-soundwave-51-channel-low-profile-pci-sound-card.aspx
i guess it has a S/PDIF to RCA Adapter cable on it???

btw, nice frequency response on those speakers.

Thanks, 30hz-30khz from the thrift store. The brand is RtR and from the somewhat limited information I could find they were mid to high end speakers from the early 80s. I got them for 35 bucks at the thrift store, of course they needed an amp, but I think they sound quite good.

I am currently using a 1/8" to RCA converter, so I guess I can continue to use that. I didn't realize that RCA sound cards weren't that popular.

I just don't know if sound cards are a waste of money this day and age. I don't know if my ears will hear a difference.

linkin

VIP Member
Naturally, you get what you pay for, but you also have to account for diminishing returns.

I have an STX, it cost me $200, and it sounded good. I replaced the op amps with better ones (about $30 for parts and shipping, and 5 minutes of work) and it sounds even better.

I'll stick by my recommendation of a Xonar DG - but maybe you could also find an amplifier somewhere as well. I had a Sansui R-50, which did alright with my X-Fi Titanium.