Sound Prob

Tystrasza

I just finished my computer yesterday, and everything is great but the sound.. I have plugged my speakers into all the "holes" in the sound card, but i get nothing but a "ssssssh" and it gets louder as i turn my volume up. When I plug them into the card, it makes a loud sound like when you plug something into an amp. I am not good with soundcards, and i cant figure out what it is. My computer says that my sound card is fine and its recognizing it.

EDIT: the drivers are up2date

The_Other_One

VIP Member
First, rather than just blindly guessing which port is output, read a manual or something to be sure which you should actually use.

Do you have any type of front pannel/ports installed. I had a similar problem when I had the wrong plug connected for my front ports. Try just removing the connection and putting the jumpers back if you are using any type of from connection.

Oh, and i see you have an Audigy in your sig... Well same there, remove the front ports if you have any connected.

PC eye

banned
The bottom three 1/8" mini plug sockets are the ones used for the speakers. The green is for the front, second for rear, and bottom for the center mix on that model card. Have you looked in the device manager under sound and game controllers to see if the drivers went in correctly? You should see "Creative SB Audigy 2 (WDM)" listed.

PC eye

banned
The Audigy 4 is set up the same way with the mic and line in being the top two jacks. If it has a yellow in the DM you can right click on the listing there to choose the update driver option. With the update you may have downloaded the one intended for the Audigy 4 not Audigy 2 line. Which model Audigy 2 are you running?

There are some 12 different Audigy 2 models. Match the model number using the download selector at http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/ That will insure you have the correct update.

SirKenin

banned
Well yeah, it's listed... lol

The main speaker jack is third from the right on an Audigy 2.. I mean third one in from the firewire port. If you don't have firewire on yours, it's the third from the back of the case (the same side as the I/O panel). Make sure it's plugged in there and pushed all the way in.

Also, if you have onboard sound, make sure it's disabled in the BIOS.

Tystrasza

Well I dont use speakers anymore atleast since 2 weeks ago when I got my new monitor that had built in sound.. but when I minimize things I get a really low chime sound comming from the speakers in the monitor. I have not gotten around to the actual card an wires yet.

PC eye

banned
That sounds like one of the default Windows sounds assigned there. You can easily look in control panel and see if it has a wav assigned to it in the sounds and audio devices section.

Tystrasza

Well i have my front panel audio plugged into the mobo where it says to put it. The only thing i can see i didnt plug in is the optical drive audio connector, because my huge ass video card is covering it.

Also i didnt use the ieee 1394 connector because it says not toplug USB into that slot in the mobo, and it says "this connector is for the IEEE 1394a port. Connect the IEEE 1394a module cable to this connector, then install the module to a slot opening at the back of the system chassis."

i didnt get such device module in the mobo package..

PC eye

banned
That would be a pci slot adapter that looks like a pci slot cover with a connector seen on it. It usually has the grey colored wire harness that will reach over to the second block of pins.

As far as cable going from the cd or dvd drive to the sound card that wouldn't prevent sound coming from the system whether that is plugged in or not. On some optical drives that is needed for playing audio cds or dvd movies.

Tystrasza

mobo didnt come with that.. the only things like that are the firewire an one that has a USB port looking plug on the back.

PC eye

banned
That is what I was referring to. That's one of the extra items sent along with the board. Does your monitor have builtin speakers? Your earlier mention of hearing a chime sound suggests you never raised the volume on the monitor. Are you trying to connect one or two sets there?

Tystrasza

Aye my monitor has speakers built in. It chimes, yet when i raise the volume as high as I can, i hear the ssssshhhh sound. No cord came along with the mobo, just a firewire and some USB cable i plugged into the USB spot on the mobo. I am totaly confused an it sux not having sound for 2 weeks im going to go nuts :( yet i dont know what to do, because i dont know anything about sound.. and the mobo directions booklet helped like none in the sound card department.

SirKenin

banned
When you get tired of getting led around in circles by him, I just noticed that you connected your front panel into something. That motherboard has 8 channel onboard audio. There is no way to plug the front jacks into an Audigy 2 that I know of.

You need to unplug those jacks and make certain that any options for "onboard sound" are disabled in the BIOS. The loud sound that is coming from your soundcard is more than likely feedback. Make sure you do not have a TV Tuner card plugged in, do not plug the DVD player in, do not have the jacks on the front plugged in, or anything. Just have the Audigy plugged into the board, the drivers installed, and the speakers plugged in to the third jack from the left.

Hit Delete to get into the BIOS. It should be under Chipset Features or something like that. Let me know how you make out.

PC eye

banned
delete doesnt get me into anything..

When you first power on the system there will one assigned key listed for entering the bios setup. Not all boards use the delete key which someone else doesn't seem to realize. :rolleyes: Your board's manual will show where to go in there for enabling/disabling the onboard sound if that is still enabled. Make sure that the Windows volume control and Creative sound mixer has the master sound level up there.

SirKenin

banned
When a certain *insert expletive here* gets his head out of his ass he'll realize that the board is an Asus. Asus uses the Delete key for ALL their boards.

Now you'll be able to tell why I have him on block and only occasionally read his drivel. It isn't worth listening to 98% of the time.. It only serves to get you annoyed, and potentially lead you to every answer but the right one. You know. Like.. Somewhere in China.

Has he recommended scandisk or Linux yet? Told you about his AST? Have no fear. If he hasn't, he soon will.

EDIT:

Gahhh!! Why, oh why, did I view that post? I knew it would be nonsense and I did it anyways. I feel like an idiot now. I blame it on the beer. :(

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
When a certain *insert expletive here* gets his head out of his ass he'll realize that the board is an Asus. Asus uses the Delete key for ALL their boards.

Now you'll be able to tell why I have him on block and only occasionally read his drivel. It isn't worth listening to 98% of the time.. It only serves to get you annoyed, and potentially lead you to every answer but the right one. You know. Like.. Somewhere in China.

Has he recommended scandisk or Linux yet? Told you about his AST? Have no fear. If he hasn't, he soon will.

EDIT:

Gahhh!! Why, oh why, did I view that post? I knew it would be nonsense and I did it anyways. I feel like an idiot now. I blame it on the beer. :(

Speaking about yourself again? Scandisk isn't found in XP! :rolleyes: Besides a review of the user's manual will give a better explaination then someone who is rather....