SP2 and Web Cam Woes

Bronson7

Hi Gang. I have an older Logitech Quick Cam Express which worked well using MSN Messenger while I had WinXP SP1. In order to get it to work with SP1, I had to download up to date drivers. I've recently installed SP2, and now I'm getting a frame rate of like one, every 10 seconds. When trying to cam with family members, The frame rate is practicaly non existant, however the picture is very clear. I'm using dial-up so the picture wasn't always the best with SP1 but the frame rate was adequate and there wasn't such a lag in the voice..I've looked all over the web for a cause/solution but have'nt found one. Because of the extremely clear picture, but extremely slow frame rate, It almost leads me to believe that frame rate is being sacrificed for picture quality. Unfortunately, I have'nt found a way to correct this, if there even is a way. Any ideas? I'll be happy to supply more info if needed. It's important to me because I use it to stay in touch with my kids/grandkids in other states.
Thanks, all.
Bronson7

DCIScouts

VIP Member
Hey, sorry to hear about your problems with SP2. That's what originally brought me here as well! :(

Anyway, it sounds like the new security features with SP2 are causing some issues with the drivers and interface in the camera. There are a few options, none of them really easy or minor. 1. If you can uninstall SP2 (this is only available if you selected this option when you installed the new pack...) 2. Re-install Windows and when you are updating the files for Windows, just don't install SP2. 3. Buy a new webcam.

If you use the security features in SP2, then suggestions 1 and 2 would be obviously less favorable. Even if you do I would suggest buying Norton Internet Security anyway, it has a much better firewall and anti-virus in it than the built in Windows stuff anyway. And as far as the pop-up blocker in Internet Explorer, just switch over to Firefox (which I would recommend anyway) for your internet browser because it has a built-in blocker, plus it is much more protected from adware and malware than Internet Explorer.