SP2 Service Pack & no Internet Connection

redneckbcer

I reformatted my computer the other day with XP. I tried updating with SP2 Service Pack which was successful. I have a D-link router installed. I had internet before I installed SP2. I get no internet on my Internet Explorer after I installed SP2. I downloaded & printed out "Some programs seem to stop working after you install Windows XP Service Pack 2" from Microsoft. I followed the instructions to a T, but still could not get the internet. I went to the Windows Firewall to exceptions & added all the programs which the firewall wouldn't block including Internet Explorer 6. The internet still wouldn't work so I tried the ports in the exception box of the Windows Firewall. In Run I typed in cmd so I typed in a)netstat -ano >netstat.txt b) tasklist > tasklist.txt (but said this was not recognized) c)notepad tasklist.txt (nothing came up in notepad, just a blank notepad) d)notepad netstat.txt (all the addresses & all the ports were on notepad. So from the notepad with all the addresses & ports I entered all the info into exceptions under ports but still did not get internet. When I was doing this I went straight from my cable modem to my computer. I didn't try this with my router hooked up. So now I'm frustrated from trying to figure out how to get the internet after the SP2 upgrade. Any ideas on how to get the internet after installing SP2. I had to remove SP2 so I could send this in. Any help on this matter would be much apprieciated.

elitehacker

I don't think service pack 2 is the problem here, check for other factors that might be stopping you from accessing the internet.