Speaker and Onboard Sound Questions

tuxify

I have the GIGABYTE 570 SLI Mobo, which has Realtek ALC883 onboard audio (8 channels, whatever that means). Would that audio be able to support 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound speakers? Or should I get an audio card that can support 5.1/7.1 surround? If so, what are some good, low-medium budget cards?

Also, I was looking at a few different speakers, and was wondering if anyone thinks these are a good deal:

Logitech X-230 2.1: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121123

Logitech X-530 5.1: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121126

Kesava

look im not sure about what your mobo supports. But i just wanted to say that i just got the logitech x-230 speakers and they are really good. so much more bass then my last ones.

in fact yesterday i was playing a song on full volume and the sub is sitting on my tower and the hard drive stuffed up from the vibration and my computer turned off hahaa.

but the x-530s would be more worth it because they only have a bit more power and they have more satellites and a center speaker.

Kesava

quote from realtek website "The ALC883 series 7.1+2 Channel High Definition Audio (HDA) codecs are compliant with Microsoft's UAA (Universal Audio Architecture). The ALC883 series provide 10 DAC channels that simultaneously support 7.1 sound playback"

Kesava

yep. that would be perfect. also. the x-230s, like most low grade speakers, lack midrange.

im not sure about the x-530. but they would be better

tuxify

Got it. I guess I'll order the speakers, and if I'm not satisfied with the sound quality, I'll order a new sound card. Thanks guys.

I have the X-530s, and I have to say they are amazing. Everything sounds great, and the sub goes LOUD. :D

The only complaint I have is that the sub control is on the back of the sub, which sits under my desk. So if I want to adjust it, I have to reach under there to raise/lower it. The X-540s have an in-line remote that contains the power switch, main volume control, and sub control, rather than having it on the front right speaker and sub. But if you don't want to spend more money the X-530s are still amazing for the price.