Speaker Conundrum

g4m3rof1337

I want to mount 5.1 speakers around my room, it's not a big room. I thought about getting the Z-5500's, but they seem a bit powerful, and I don't want to not use them to their full potential. I currently have the X-530's, and these wouldn't be used if I got a new set, so I thought about using these for the time being, and seeing how I like the setup, and then upgrading to the Z-5500's.

One of my problems is getting wire extenders for the X-530's, not my picture, but here are the connectors,
image005.jpg

I would need to extend the Speaker and Sub wires, I doubt they sell extenders for those wires, so I'd have to make my own. Would that be possible, and what would I need to buy?

Thanks.

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
You can probably pick up some 16 gauge home theater speaker wires and do it yourself. Probably want to get some electrical tape and maybe solder the two wires together?

Ramodkk

VIP Member
Oh there's extensions for everything, I doubt you'd have problem finding some for that type of cable.

jdbennet

every one of those extensions is available.

whats the wierd two-pronged one though?

They are phono connectors, 3.5mm jacks and what looks like a vga cable?

g4m3rof1337

I need to extend the Green, Black and Orange set, as well as the Sub port.

Where can I buy the extenders premade?

And the two pronged connector is the Power. :)

Do you think the X-530's will be good being place around the room, it would be for music and stuff. Is it also possible to be able to make all the speakers play equally loud, instead of just speaker fill?

jdbennet

oh right (over here power is different)

in the UK you can get those sort of cables from somewhere like maplin, um i think your equivilent would be like tandy or radio shack?

Just head down to radio shack, they have an extendor for everything you have there. Except maybe the VGA but those aren't hard to find. As for making all of the speakers equally loud, I have no idea sorry.

Candy

If you cant find the appropriate extensions just do it yourself using the same type of cabling (sorry not sure of the proper name for that type), then cut the wires and strip back so the wire is exposed and solder them together then wrap with a bit of electrical tape. If you decide to do this make sure the everything is turned off and unplugged, always good to double check :)

g4m3rof1337

I am not sure, but I plugged in a VGA cable, and it fit.

Also, I unplugged the VGA cable from the Sub, while the speakers were on, now the speakers don't play music. I've tried restarting my computer and everything. I am listening to music through a Headset.

And like I said earlier, I plan on mounting these speakers in my room, which is in an Apartment. I first thought about getting the Z-5500's, which have around 500watts of sound, and are loud. I am wondering if I should stay with my current speakers, which are around 70watts. But I would have to find a solution to somehow suffocate some if not all the noise. I don't plan on playing the music loud, a lot, but still, any ideas?

Thanks.

hang curtains about an inch from your wall, and if you put egg cartons up (the half that holds the egg) on your ceiling that will block a lot of the sound too, if you aren't on the bottom floor lay down some thick carpet or rugs.

g4m3rof1337

Well, we're in a new high rise, so the ceiling is like cement or something. But its the walls I am worried about.

Would a curtain actually work, like all around the room? Would it have to be permanent, or can it be on a track?

If I can get these X-530's to work, I'll use those.

Any ideas on how to fix them?

Thanks.

g4m3rof1337

Can I get some recommendations for a nice set of 5.1 Speakers. I don't want to go with the Z- 5500's, since they're a bit loud, and I am in an apartment. I plan on playing music, movies, and gaming with them. I would also like something that can make all the speakers equally loud, opposed to Speaker Fill.

Thanks.

g4m3rof1337

Can I get some recommendations for a nice set of 5.1 Speakers. I don't want to go with the Z- 5500's, since they're a bit loud, and I am in an apartment. I plan on playing music, movies, and gaming with them. I would also like something that can make all the speakers equally loud, opposed to Speaker Fill.

Thanks.

Bump.