Spec for spec, laptop or desktop performance-wise

togo

New Member
I keep hearing that desktops are stronger than laptops but I also keep seeing laptop and desktop with comparable specs go for around the same price. So what is it exactly that makes a desktop "more powerful." Are they more powerful than a laptop with the same specs? If so than why are the specs listed as the same if the desktop is better performance-wise.
 
when you buy a laptop you wont be able to upgrade the components in side it apart fromt he dvd drive and hdd and battery charger.

For desktops you can upgrade it how ever u want, but you gotta make sure everything is compatible. So if you take my sig specs i dont need to upgrade the cpu or ram but only graphics card in a 2~5 yrs time

i hope you get my drift :\


desktop = upgradeable / can customize it

laptop = built how it is.
 
Maybe his thinking the i7 laptops? They're very powerful and in some case can be compared to certain computers. But desktops are much better with all the options you have.
 
Maybe I am just talking about the high-end laptops. For example:

ASUS N61JQ-X1 Laptop for about $999

* Intel Core i7-720QM Processor1.6GHz w/ turbo boost up to 2.8GHz
* 4GB of DDR3 1066MHz SDRAM, 2 slots, 8GB Max
* 320GB Hard Drive (7200 RPM); Super Multi Optical Disk Drive; Wi-Fi 802.11 bgn
* 16-Inch HD LED LCD Display; 2.0MP Webcam; Bluetooth; HDMI Port; ATI 5730 Graphics Engine with 1 GB DDR3 Dedicated VRAM
* Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit) Operating System

Alienware 15x laptop for about $1500 for a little bit better specs than the one above.

There may be better valued desktop out there but the Micro Velocity Edge Z30 seems to be pretty well receive. It goes for $1400 when customized to match the specs of the above laptops:

* Intel Core i7-860 Processor 2.8GHz
* 4GB of DDR3-1333 Dual Channel Memory, Max 8GB
* 500GB Hard Drive (7200rpm)
* NIVIDA GeForce GTX 260

This is without the monitor so it would probably cost even more. If anyone have a good suggestion for a desktop that has comparable specs to the one listed here but is a lot cheaper than I would really like to know.

I could care less about the whole laptop vs desktop war that seems to have been going on but I just want all the info since I can only get one comp.

Also, I don't know about upgrading vid card or processors on laptop but it seems like RAM is expandable.
 
Last edited:
Laptops wll be limited in one way or the other togo, while desktops have more freedom as far as building, upgrading and raw power
 
Back
Top