Spec.

DekelMaho

This is my main system Samsung 960 Pro m.2 512 as my main drive, Intel i7 6900k CPU, 128 Gb Kingston Predator DDR4 Ram, Asus Rampage v10 board and Nvidia GTX 1080 GPU. Storage drive WD Black 1TB Hdd. This system is for general use and runs like a dream. Now I would like a secondary machine built for Bluray burning ect [ I have no interest in gaming ] Would the following be suitable [ before I give the go ahead ]

Intel Xeon E5-2650 v4, S 2011-3, Broadwell-EP, 12 Core, 2.2GHz, 2.9GHz Turbo, 30MB, 40 Lane, 9.6GT/s QPI, 105W, Board Intel S2600WTTR, 64 Gb ECC RAM, Nvidia Quadro m2000 GPU, Samsung 960 Pro m.2 and WD Black 2tb storage drive. I am willing to alter components if need be. I really like to make sure that the machine has enough "grunt " I would rather be a wee bit over speced than under.

Thanks.

Laquer Head

This is my main system Samsung 960 Pro m.2 512 as my main drive, Intel i7 6900k CPU, 128 Gb Kingston Predator DDR4 Ram, Asus Rampage v10 board and Nvidia GTX 1080 GPU. Storage drive WD Black 1TB Hdd. This system is for general use and runs like a dream. Now I would like a secondary machine built for Bluray burning ect [ I have no interest in gaming ] Would the following be suitable [ before I give the go ahead ]

Intel Xeon E5-2650 v4, S 2011-3, Broadwell-EP, 12 Core, 2.2GHz, 2.9GHz Turbo, 30MB, 40 Lane, 9.6GT/s QPI, 105W, Board Intel S2600WTTR, 64 Gb ECC RAM, Nvidia Quadro m2000 GPU, Samsung 960 Pro m.2 and WD Black 2tb storage drive. I am willing to alter components if need be. I really like to make sure that the machine has enough "grunt " I would rather be a wee bit over speced than under.

Thanks.
LOL why do you need a 12 core xeon cpu, 64gb ram, and 960 m.2 for a backup rig that is just for bluray burning. This is beyond wasteful..LOL

DekelMaho

So that is a bit overkill, I just like to ensure that it's powerful enough. Should I downgrade the CPU to something like Intel i7 [ maybe a 6850 k ] and maybe 32 Gb DDR 4 I would still like to keep the quoted drives.

Laquer Head

So that is a bit overkill, I just like to ensure that it's powerful enough. Should I downgrade the CPU to something like Intel i7 [ maybe a 6850 k ] and maybe 32 Gb DDR 4 I would still like to keep the quoted drives.

So that I'm understanding you, you just need a machine to rip Blu-Ray discs?

If so, those specs are so beyond overkill you'd be a fool to spend that kinda money for such a basic/simple task on a secondary machine. You don't need an i7, 6-core cpu, 32gb either... complete and utter waste putting high-end gaming components into a basic task machine. I mean, do what you want - but damn.

beers

Staff member
Why not rip on your existing machine? You can still do productivity crap while it's running in the background.

What kind of CUDA work do you do if you have no interest in gaming?

DekelMaho

Thanks guys, First up I have heard the Bluray /DVD burning needs quite a powerful CPU and good memory also I would be doing a bit of 3d cad work [ not very large assemblies ] I want this secondary machine to be only for those tasks. I prefer to keep me main system as my most used one [ general purpose use ] Yes I could easily use it for the Bluray / DVD work but my preference is to keep that separate [ just my way of thinking ]
If the second specs are a bit overkill what would be a fast system to accomplish the Bluray /DVD work? I am not very clued up on computers, I just know that I want a fast machine that does not "hang about "
thanks.

Laquer Head

Thanks guys, First up I have heard the Bluray /DVD burning needs quite a powerful CPU and good memory also I would be doing a bit of 3d cad work [ not very large assemblies ] I want this secondary machine to be only for those tasks. I prefer to keep me main system as my most used one [ general purpose use ] Yes I could easily use it for the Bluray / DVD work but my preference is to keep that separate [ just my way of thinking ]
If the second specs are a bit overkill what would be a fast system to accomplish the Bluray /DVD work? I am not very clued up on computers, I just know that I want a fast machine that does not "hang about "
thanks.

You could buy a $500 bestbuy special and rip blurays with it.. dont need a custom gaming-type PC worth thousands for such a basic task!

Also, if you don't game, why do you have a gtx1080 and the high end specs in your main rig?

DekelMaho

Hi Laquer Head, Thats just me, I like to have some power in reserve. I have actually used the main system to test how quick it is to burn a dvd from youtube, the Documentary lasted 1 hr 03minutes and I managed to put the doc onto a disc in under 6 minutes So I want speed like that. Tried the same on an older xp machine and it took what seemed like an eternity, never going down that road again.

Laquer Head

Hi Laquer Head, Thats just me, I like to have some power in reserve. I have actually used the main system to test how quick it is to burn a dvd from youtube, the Documentary lasted 1 hr 03minutes and I managed to put the doc onto a disc in under 6 minutes So I want speed like that. Tried the same on an older xp machine and it took what seemed like an eternity, never going down that road again.
To each their own, I guess.. no amount of me telling you to stop wasting money is going to make you do so..

All the best!

Deadpool

You have a 6900K and a GTX 1080 for general use... Holy mother of overkill.

About the other rig, if you plan to do little CAD work, you don't always need a Quadro or a FirePro. There are desktop GPUs that do better than the workstation cards. Hell, I used to do Inventor, AutoCAD and Maya with a GT630 and a Q8400 not 2 years ago. You don't need a Xeon and 64Gb RAM. That's a server build. You could use your current build to do burning and CAD on the background while hacking the NSA.