Specifications of RAM

Vishiouz

AlienMenace

You better get the name and specs of the Motherboard first, before you go and buy the ram. Not just any ram will do. Depending how old the board is, you probably won't be running DDR 3's in it. It could be DDR's or DDR2's made for that board.

thesam101

So my MoBo is http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/Shared/4006157R/4006157Rsp2.shtml so does that mean that i would only be able to put in DDR2?

Yah, DDR2, from link:

Type: 4 DIMM DDR2 sockets
Supported speeds: 800,667,533,400 MHz
Expandable up to 4 GB total memory

Incidentally, when you buy the RAM it may not say the speed in MHz, but instead just say the 'module name/type', these are the corresponding ones:
Mhz Module name/type

800 PC2-6400
667 PC2-5300
533 PC2-4200

needless to say, the higher the Mhz you buy the quicker it will be, however the most expensive also.

Last edited:

Benny Boy

And according to the specs it has 4 RAM slots and a 4GB max. Which means DDR2 800 with a 1GB dimm in each slot is the max.

Vishiouz

So one last question. When adding sticks of ram, do i have to remove the old one? Or can i keep the old stick and instead just add on to it.
Thanks for all of the support, it's greatly appreciated.

Okedokey

You can retain the old RAM, but remember to run it all in Dual Channel, that is the same type in Slot 1, as Slot 3 and so on (usually colour coded). Also, don't forget if you change your motherboard you will probably need a new version of Windows.

Vishiouz

One more question. So if i wanted could i go with a 2x2 ram configuration and have my comp at the max of 4gigs of ram?

Benny Boy

One more question. So if i wanted could i go with a 2x2 ram configuration and have my comp at the max of 4gigs of ram?
Memory SupportType: 4 DIMM DDR2 sockets

That, means each slot will support 1GB max. So the 2x2gb kit won't do it.

Okedokey

Memory SupportType: 4 DIMM DDR2 sockets

That, means each slot will support 1GB max. So the 2x2gb kit won't do it.

Sorry how do you figure that? Its a total of 4GB, why cant you put a single 2 x 2GB module in there?

Last edited:

StrangleHold

Staff member
Sorta of a if it will kinda thing. Some boards with 4gb limit and 4 slots will only read 1gb. stick in each slot. But some will read a 2gb stick. A shot in the dark thing.