Speed and Graphics?

guns90

What I do want to do with a computer is surf the web, pay bills, correspondence, store music, and occasionally watch tv when I have missed a show I like because the satellite dish went out (which seems to be more frequent than it used to be). I want to build a new computer, but there are two areas that I am not quite understanding:

1) If I am going to build a new computer, I obviously want it to be fast, but just how fast does it need to be when gaming speed and gaming graphics isn't necessary? To put it another way, is it really worth it (speed-wise for a non-gamer) to spend more money for an Intel Hyper-threading Quad-Core 950 or go for a lesser, say, AMD Phenom X4. Will I really see that much of a difference?

2) I currently have an EVGA 8800 GTS being pushed by an AMD Athlon II 64 X 2 6400+ that really does not do online streaming very well. Along with the CPU advice, what range of newer graphics card do you think that I might be more pleased with for online streaming?

Oh, I only use Linux OS. Thanks

powerpack

banned
Current on board graphics should work for your needs. AMD would be fine you do not need an overly fast CPU. I would venture to say if you bought any current gen CPU and integrated graphics will do you fine. I am not current with AMD CPU's. That said I understand that for someone with your usage they can be more budget friendly with good performance.

I would also consider getting a current generation GPU even though it might be above your needs. Minimal cost and headroom is always nice.

Edit: Your online streaming I do not think a system issue. I think an Internet connection/bandwidth issue?