Speedfan 4.25

PhoeniX51

I'm a little bit confused about this... Speedfan is only telling me the RPM of "Fan 2" and not 1 or 3, even though I have 4 fans (including one for CPU). Also, it's only telling me the temperature of one of my hard drives, even though I have 2. Do I need to do anything special to get it to detect the other fans?

Marix

you haven't sensore on second drive

4 pin 'socket' on mainboard including one cable for sensoring speed of cpu fan.
Other funs are connected typical and computer can;t check there speed

PhoeniX51

Oh... well they should have made that more clear in the description. They should've just named it CPUfanspeed or something. I've seen somewhere a screenshot of that program where it shows the speed for more than one fan. Is that a made up shot or does someone just have multiple CPUs (which wouldn't make sense since it was showing 3 fans and those kind of motherboards don't exist).

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
No No No, thats not what he meant, speedfan will monitor all fans that are connected via a 3 pin cable, not a molex connector, they must be plugged directly into the motherboard. As for the hard drive, well, is it an old dreive, if it is then it wont have a sensor in it, and it wont have SMART enabled.

I hope this helps, dragon2309

PhoeniX51

Oh, I see. That explains a lot.

I couldn't find a place to plug in my 3 pin fan so I just left it unplugged, but you're saying there's slots to plug those in directly to the motherboard?

And yes, the hard drive is relatively old, but I'm not sure what exactly... otherwise I would look it up. I can't tell which one it can detect the temp. of and which one it can't. It just says HD1. Could I tell which is 1 and which is 2 by looking at where they're plugged in to the MoBo?

Geoff

VIP Member
on your motherboard there is usually only 2 3-pin slots, one is for your CPU Fan and the other is your System Fan. You would need a really old hard drive for it not to have a sensor in it... my old 40GB IDE Hard Drive had a sensor in it, and it was made it 2000-2001.

And i could never get the fan controller on speedfan to work, so it probably wont work for you.

Marix

My old samsung 4Gb haven't sensor but lot of 7200 rpm disk had sensor.

yes, some motherboards had few 4 pin and you can connect but! normal outside fans had 2 cable without third for sensoring, so you should buy new cpu fans, and install itd on casing (case?)

sorry for my english

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
my mobo has 3 x 3-pin motherboard connectors, and they are all in use. 1 for the CPU fan, 2 for the other 2 case fans i have. On the temps it reports loads of them i dont even know where it gets them from, i know one is CPU and one is HDD and one is case ambient and one is motherboard, but there are way more than that being reported.

PhoeniX51

I popped open my case last night and found that 3 pin connector on the motherboard. I have two fans that use that type of connector though, and I discovered that my PSU had two, so that worked out good. I plugged both my fans that didn't use Molex type into there, and they're working now.

As for Speedfan, I think I can live without knowing how fast my fans are going. But, just incase I wanted to, is there a splitter or something that you can put in the 3 pin slot in the mobo so you can have more than one fan? Would that even be safe since it would probably use too much power?

Thanks.